Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omni-Max

XBox Linux EXTENDED

13 posts in this topic

The reason I'm writing this is because I feel the need to contribute to the community. As a person looking into this myself, I have had many misunderstandings about the entire Linux On Xbox as a whole, so Im' here to clear up the questions I had that you may have, because I've been to the IRC channels for help and sometimes the people can be short with you, so my assistance, complements of me.

This is basicly for those who are mildly interested or read www.xbox-linux.org/ more than three times.

First of all, unless your Xbox has a 10gb hard disk, there is no reason whatsoever to do the software prepare described at xbox-linux.org (XL). XL member "dmp" confirmed that

the xbox BIOS wants 8gb manditory or else it will freak out. Software preporation is only sensibly done with a 10gb hard disk.

Of course, you can open up the xbox, void your warrenty, solder these two points together to allow the BIOS ROM to allow software writing [flash the bios] (version 1.6 xbox does NOT allow software writing whatsoever anyways, current "mod team" have methods, but you have to pay money and nobody wants to do that).

The screws to the xbox can be found behind the warenty label, warning labels, and four rubber feet.

I may have a v1.6 xbox, a suggestion for everyone who bought late is to see if a friend wants to trade (obviously tell him your intentions, that you've done nothing dubious to the box, you need an older version where microsoft corporation didn't add all these security measures against running unsigned code).

The XBOX uses USB electronicly, but uses a funny propriatary physical connector. Everything is unique to USB (xbox only supports the older, slower USB) execpt for an extra yellow cable which is for something like a lightpen which you'll never use ever.

And you'll want to identify what DVD drive you have because some are pickier than others on the data they read.

NO!!! There are no drivers for the Xbox's NVIDIA GPU yet, as it hasn't be reversed engineers.

Warning, Xbox is quite heavy. Don't put it on a weak place like a ping-pong table. Yes, it will break. Yes, it has happened.

The best way or so I have heard, to make a connector from the middle package (before the controller gets to to the box) to a USB hub. I'm not sure if this works, I haven't tried it, but it sounds better than making four different adaptors. Doesn't it?

And if you have no idea what I just said was about; read www.xbox-linux.org over a period of several days.

Anything to add or questions, post 'em here.

I never really understood why everyone wants an Xbox running Linux. Sure, the idea was cool at first, but why would you go out and give money to Microsoft only to install Linux on it? The whole concept just seems counter-productive to me. Sure, I guess I could understand if you have one laying around you don't want to use anymore, but I think it would be a lot cooler if instead of everyone trying to take an Xbox and turn it into a standard Linux computer, maybe people should try to build a standard (mini-case) Linux computer and create a open source game consol. Now THAT would be rad.

Anyway, thats my opinion for what its worth (and usually its worth very little).

edit: fixed a typo

Edited by gr3ndel

Omni-Max, don't think the previous post was intended to attack your post in any way. Good information. Just thought I'd add my two cents to the topic.

Oh, heh.

I guess you think I'm sort of offense taking nut from the one post about binrev and stuff...

Well, the primary reason is the xbox is cheap for it's hardware. Wait until they get that GPU reverse-engineered... Mmm mmm.

I agree, making a console type OS would be RAD!

Somebody should make games that load up with x86 BIOS boot compliant discs with a mini-os that handles the I/O (joysticks, usb, keyboard, mouse, AGP controller, PCI) and drawing to screen. If somebody made something like that, that supported directx 9.0 and had a load time that avg. a bit higher than most xbox games, I would salute them with my penile organ. Of course a basic boot game like tetris or astroids or pong or something would be a walk in the right direction.

A really good deal though is a dreamcast. $50 for a modem and processor. You can also get a broadband extention, execpt the dreamcast doesn't have a harddrive. :(

I"m thinking of doing over my XBOX with Linux, but I have a question. Why dose MECHASSAULT have the ability to load the Linux installer but no other game? Is this hole/loop intentionally put in there or is this an unseen flaw in developement?

Mechassult isn't the only game that can be exploited. There is also one in a 007 game and the bashboard itself can be exploited after running the game exploit and loading some other hacked files includeing some fonts and there is also something to do with the audio files. Click here if you want to learn how to soft mod your box.

I don't think 007 works anymore because of xbox live update or something like that, I just heard that I'm not sure. But if anyone knows anything about the soft modding then answer this, Can I put in a bigger HD and softmod my xbox? will softmodding work with 1.6?

I don't know about 1.6 but I used 007 to get access to a hard drive updated to xboxlive and then transfered everything from a non xbxo live drive and worked with the pheonix bios loader. I messed ith soft modding a bunch of machines and in the end I eneded up instalkling mod chips in all of them. Soft modding works fine if you sign all your software with the correct thing for your exploit unless you use the pheonix bios loader to load a hack bios. I screwed up one xbox whileit was softmod and I ended up putting chip in to fix it. Chips IMO are just a better mor reliable way to do things. I am not against the soft modding because if it wasnt for that I would have never purchased my first chip. The homebrew scene around xbox is badass and I needed to see that bnefore I purchased my modchips. the only game I own is the 007 game and I got it just so I could mod it for things like linux and XBMC (xbox media center).

I never really understood why everyone wants an Xbox running Linux. Sure, the idea was cool at first, but why would you go out and give money to Microsoft only to install Linux on it? The whole concept just seems counter-productive to me. Sure, I guess I could understand if you have one laying around you don't want to use anymore, but I think it would be a lot cooler if instead of everyone trying to take an Xbox and turn it into a standard Linux computer, maybe people should try to build a standard (mini-case) Linux computer and create a open source game consol. Now THAT would be rad.

Anyway, thats my opinion for what its worth (and usually its worth very little).

edit: fixed a typo

You don't like the idea of extremely inexpensive PCs?

I"m thinking of doing over my XBOX with Linux, but I have a question. Why dose MECHASSAULT have the ability to load the Linux installer but no other game? Is this hole/loop intentionally put in there or is this an unseen flaw in developement?

Some exploit, accidental, probably.

Sure, the idea was cool at first, but why would you go out and give money to Microsoft only to install Linux on it?

Companies sell consoles at a loss and make their money back with games. So most likely you will be costing MS money.

Yep, they are losing cash with the consoles and the games suck in terms of gameplay.

So they really are losing money either way.