Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhreakOut

Optimum Online VoIP

10 posts in this topic

I saw the commercial awhile ago...anyone tried it? Is it any good?

<edit>Probably should have gone in PnG, but I was in the Misc section, and just clicked add topic</edit>

Edited by PhreakOut

I have it and the voice quality is great. There are only two issues with it:

a) Sometimes three-way calling doesn't work

B) Sometimes call waiting doesn't work

I have a feeling that this is due to certain telecommunications providers not supervising all of their calls (they'll remain nameless) but I can't be sure. In any case I'd highly recommend OV. You also get free unlimited nationwide directory assistance when you dial "0". It's pretty cool.

I have it and the voice quality is great. There are only two issues with it:

a) Sometimes three-way calling doesn't work

B) Sometimes call waiting doesn't work

I have a feeling that this is due to certain telecommunications providers not supervising all of their calls (they'll remain nameless) but I can't be sure. In any case I'd highly recommend OV. You also get free unlimited nationwide directory assistance when you dial "0". It's pretty cool.

Have you tried spoofing with it? That's my main goal with VOIP aside from free long distance calling. National 411 sounds really good though. I'll look into it.

I still need DSL so I can get VOIP. CRAP! :grr:

Don't even bother trying to spoof with it. You can't get to the hardware (it's built into the router) and the packets never go across your network (they're injected right into the coax).

I have optimum voice as well my quality is terrible sometimes, and the switch serving me is all messed up, sometimes local numbers just wont work, other times random other things wont work as well.

I really wish it was true voip so that we could spoof (was half the reason I got it when I moved)

My other gripe with optimum is there stupid upload policy, a continuos upload for more than 59 minutes in a 2 hour segment, resulsts in your modem getting throtteled from something like 1 meg up 5 meg down (mine flucuates a great deal) to 200 - 300 kb up 5 down, this personally bothers the living shit out of me and the only way around it is to get buisness class optimum, or to call them every time you get throtteled and that proccess of getting unthrotteled is an ass pain.

why the hell would u get optimum for $34.99 a month if theyre ghetto, when you could get vonage or voicepulse for less? and you would be able to spoof as well (voicepulse)

my mother decided to get it, I might have to get that vonnage though.

/me runs off to go look at prices.

Hmmm... I'm not sure where you're located but OO, and OV in my area are rock solid. I synchronize lots of data to and from my colo boxes all the time, leave BitTorrents open, and all kinds of stuff like that and I've never been throttled. My voice quality on OV has been just as reliable as my landline (both have gone completely dead exactly once and actually the landline outage was much longer).

I am waiting for voicepulse to provide numbers in my NPA. Until then...