Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Linux0ne

Hacking Exposed Book.

18 posts in this topic

The other day I was up at Barns & Nobles and came across a book called "Hacking Exposed". It's not a "How to Hack" manual.. But it dose show you how to hack and try to break into you network PC's to see security flaws. I gather it was basically desighned for Network Admins on what to look for. I was checking out the website, and they do list progz and toolz to use for doing just that. All in alll for n00b's like myself I think it is a great book to buy and actually read about what your doing. It's also good to learn about how systems, networks, and TC/IP protocalls work... Just letting everyone know about the book and if anyone has it what they think, ~ Ace

You might also like "Hackers Challenges". I heard about it on Radio Freek Antartica 71. I dont know if it is still available, I got it last year for my birthday, then it was only about $7 I believe. Phrack is also very interesting reading, but very technical, and is also not printed unless you do it yourself or went to RuxCon, and sometimes reading a printed book is nicer than a screen.

Hacking Exposed sucks shit. It has nothing to do with real hacking. It has everything to do with script-kiddie'ing. Fuck it. If you want a book on hacking, check phrack, bitch.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to check out the link at the top of this thread about flaming...

The book does go into more detail than to list a bunch of exploits. But it's kind of like learning to be an auto mechanic by reading about driving. The problem is that learning the what and how doesn't explain the why, which is what a hacker is usually interested in. What this book would be good for is to use as a starting point to lead to more reading. Pick an attack, study it, read about the processes that make it work and learn from it. Learn to program, download the source code for an exploit, and pick it apart to learn how it works.

PF

If you want a book like Hacking Exposed I would recommend Hacking: The Art of Exploitation.

It is surprisingly decent, and is not very script kiddie like, it actually explains the background of everything and teaches instead of just saying: "use this tool and be an ass"

EDIT: I can't spell.

Edited by Davidcopperfield

If you want a book like Hacking Exposed I would recommend Hacking: The Art of Exploration.

It is surprisingly decent, and is not very script kiddie like, it actually explains the background of everything and teaches instead of just saying: "use this tool and be an ass"

I think the book you're referring to is Hacking: The Art of Exploitation and if it is, I really liked that book. I also thought Hacking Exposed was good.

I would also recomend The Code Book by Simon Singh for n00bs lookin for information. :ranaway:

The Code Book is about cryptology, and while that is often involved with computers, I believe he was looking for more programming related books.

Check out hacker challenges 1 and 2. You will have to "put up" with reading through logs etc but it is awesome brain food!

Hell, if anyone wants a copy of Hacking Exposed I've got a 2nd edition that I've been trying to get rid of for years. I personally hated it, but that's just me. Pay for shipping and its yours. :) As for the "The Code Book", awesome book, I read it in one night I liked it so much. Probably not a good computer security (Ok, not a computer security book at all) but still a great book. The Hacker's Challenge books are awesome as well. I pimped it in the other post but "The Shellcoder's Handbook" is simply awesome. A must buy, although I've noticed a couple typos in critical areas of example code where addresses were not written correctly but generally isn't that important when writing example code. If you read through The Art of Exploitation definetly move to the Shellcoder's Handbook.

The Hacker's Challenge books are awesome as well.

Hacker's Challenge books? tell me more

The hacker challenge books are written by Mike Schiffman for Mcgraw Osborne. They are the same group that do the hacking exposed series.

They illustrate scenarios (around 20) of where an intrusion has occured with logs etc. At the end of the info a set of questions are asked about the situation. It is really interesting reading.

I am really intereseted in reading Hacking: The Art of Exploitation. I must keep a look out for it.

Well as i've said a long time ago i really liked the book "The Unofficial Guide to Ethical Hacking". Though the book go's into great detail about older stuff the author is a fake. Yet its a great source for n00b hacking. It go's into great detail about everything that it covers. Well thats just my opinion but i know alot of you have read/have that book and would say other wise. I think its all on preference and opinion.

Im midway through reading Network Security(rather new book some one gave me it) interesting yet dull, its rather vauge, however it gives many good ideas. I have hacking : the art of exploitation, im just to lazy to read it yet.

Ive heard the book counter hack is interesting, it gives cenarios and junk, yet to read it.

I just got Shellcoder's Handbook and it is insane. Take Hacking: Art of Exploitation, then gear it for every platform and start the first chapter with Assembly, and you will have some idea of how great it is.

I really liked the looks of that book when I saw it a few months ago, but when I started to read through some of it, it went way the hell over my head. I plan to pick it up anyway and hopefully work my way up to it. :) Cool stuff.

PF

Hmm.. im not into BUYING books... the only mag or book ive boughten is probably 2600 and binrev's mag... and the art of decption but ended up selling it and downloaded a scanned adobe boot leg off the net? any one got any e-books of any of these books? :P

I've got tons of ebooks on generic subjects and of older books. I'm a strong proponent of O'Reilly's Safari online library to expose yourself to a variety of different books for relatively little cash. But I'm also a strong believer in buying really good books in the hope that supporting the author will inspire books with similar subjects. Plus, there's really nothing like having a hard copy on your shelf that you can open and thumb through.

Buy the book. If you're short on cash, get it used from Amazon. Though I've said that it's over my head, people whose opinion I value have given it really good reviews, and I plan to read it and learn from it.

A book that I just noticed is "Exploiting Software: How to Break Code." I don't know anything about this one. Has anyone read it? What do you think?

PF