Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mass_parallel

Tor Clients

7 posts in this topic

Tor: an anonymizing overlay network for TCP

This is a very cool software that allows for something called onion routing. Now all I know about onion routing is what I read at the Tor client software site. (http://www.freehaven.net/tor/) Essentially what onion routing does is send the packets along to tor servers with information containing only the last and next server to receive the packet and then decodes the next server with a key.

So I guess the point of my post is to find out other peoples experiences and opinions regarding this software and to find out if there is any other similar software that exists and to find out if this software is secure. I would like to better understand this software and how this all works.

mass_parallel

Edited by mass_parallel

Yet another parallel, eh? ^_^

It seems like a decent piece of software. I'll mess with it as soon as I repair my PC.

Wouldn't this require the software to be installed at the server level of each server along the way? It does sound interesting, I will have to read up on this myself.

Yes it does have to be installed on all the servers along the way. There are 2 versions of the software a client version that is limited to 100k, I think, but there is also the server version which allows you to have more bandwidth.

I have noticed that it slows the connection down too, but that is because the packets are bouncing all over the place so the path is longer, causing the lag.

mass_parallel

BTY: There is a link at the tor site that links to Privoxy, which will crush or strip out all of those annoying banner ads and the like.

Edited by mass_parallel

Privoxy is nice, but I always have to tell it not to mess with cookies since I have firefox configured for that.