Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
logan5

mut3 makes the switch......

5 posts in this topic

Congrats on the iBook, mut3! :rockon:

Will be getting one soon myself. My G3/400 PowerBook just can't cut it anymore. Using Fink to get Unix apps is alot of fun. Here's a shot of

the GIMP running in OS X under X11 on one of my 6 Macs (an iMac DV/400).

FYI, if you want to export video fom iMovie into other formats, you can do that with QuickTime Pro. I think it it's a $30 upgrade from the basic player that installs with Jaguar. Save your iMovie as the default QuickTime format, open it up in QT Pro, then export in the format of your choice...including AVI. Here's one I just converted from some footage I shot a couple of years ago. I had to make sure it worked before I told ya. ;)

QuickTime often pukes when you try to play certain AVI's that were encoded on a PC. But there are lots of third-party freeware aps that will play 'em just fine. Go to VerisionTracker.com

http://www.versiontracker.com and do search for AVI..there's lots of 'em. I've had great luck with VLC (Video Lan Client). It will play AVI, DivX...just about anything you throw at it.

Let me know if you have any questions about using OS X...I'd be happy to help if I can. I've got some cool links you might find interesting, including this one:

http://osxhax.com/

Welcome aboard...

:voteyes: :rock: :voteyes: :voteyes: :rockon: :voteyes: :voteyes: :rockon: :voteyes: :voteyes: :voteyes: :rock:

mut3:

Just thought of something to pass on since you're using Fink-

DO NOT under any circumstances install Virex 7.2 if you're using Fink. Major meltdown potential with the BSD apps that you get with Fink. Don't know if you have any plans to use Virex, but just wantd to pass on a major known issue with it since it does not play well with Fink.

Carry on......

lol i didnt see this thread until today, 4/8/03. thanks for the tips, and i wish i saw some of it sooner so i could try it!

is gimp finkable??

lol i didnt see this thread until today, 4/8/03. thanks for the tips, and i wish i saw some of it sooner so i could try it!

is gimp finkable??

You betcha! It sure is. That's how I installed it on two of my Macs. I should also mention that Fink runs from the command in Terminal, but there is a GUI frontend called Fink Commander that works well too. That;s what I use. It lists all the apps you can d/l and puts them into categories and gives a short description of what each app is. It's just the thing for *nix n00bs like me who don;t know what the apps are.