Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djmollusk

Trying Out Vidalinux tonight

19 posts in this topic

I don't recall if Vidalinux was ever discussed here before so here is a little info on it.

Vidalinux Desktop OS is a powerful, stable and easy-to-use Linux distribution. The desktop components are based on the best projects of the open source community including GNOME desktop environment, OpenOffice Ximian, Mozilla web browser, Evolution mail and calendar client, Gentoo Linux and portage package manager. Vidalinux Desktop OS is the only system which include additional multimedia and productivity applications for the home user: media players, browser plugins, RealPlayer, PDF viewer, graphics design and administration tools.

I have equal love for Slackware and Gentoo, but the major thing that I can't stand about Gentoo is the install. I can make it through the install, but it seems like a lot of people look at the docs and say screw it. Vidalinux to the rescue. It uses Anaconda for the install just like Red Hat.

Right now i'm going through the install and its been pretty painless so far. I've read a handful of really nice reviews of Vidalinux. It really seems to be the more user friendly Gentoo. I just thought I would post about this because I've talked to a bunch of people on the forum who say they just aren't l33t enough to install gentoo.

I'll post my results and screenshots once I get that far.

http://desktop.vidalinux.com/

Note: It's a Puerto Rican distro, which explains the name.

Sorry for the "live review" B)

Install finished just fine and I'm pretty impressed. A lot of eyecandy, b ut if you're system can handle it then you'll be fine.

I'll post more info and screenshots later because I need to recompile the kernel because this is a dual p3 system and its only using one cpu right now.

I know some people are going to not like this, but try Vidalinux if you want to try Gentoo and you're not 1337 enough for the *real* gentoo install.

Sounds interesting, thanks for the link. I'll submit the distro to linuxiso.org.

The gentoo install isn't really difficult, just time consuming. The handbook tells you exactly what to do step by step. You don't really need to be a experienced with linux to install it, just extremely patient.

I just don't get the point of having to type every single command to install something. So this Vidalinux is definitely interesting to me.

-elchoaro

I run gentoo and I am not the most experienced linux user. The install is just very time hungry and can be a little confusing if you have know idea what your getting yourself into. I feel its all worth it in the end because I learned alot about linux doing it a few times and also portage is just badass. I think I may take a look at this vida linux also because sometimes you don't have the time for installing gentoo.

I'm still using it, giving it a fair chance. It really is Gentoo for the impatient

ok i need to get it then because I hve a fedora box that i just hate but don't want to put in the time for gentoo on it because I don't really use it all that often. Then again if fedora wasn't on it maybe I would use it more. Fedora just always seems to fail when running the up to date thing or whatever it is caled.

I also started with Fedora but got sick of Up2Date and Gnome, so I just opted for Gentoo. As long as you actually follow the directions and know how to ask questions on the forums you will be set. Right now I have it running on a Sony PCG-GRV550 Laptop and I plan on getting it on my friend's XBox rather shortly.

If Vidalinux is a less fearsome stepping stone into Gentoo then it sounds great, always good to have more people in the community.

Portage is God.

gentox or gentoo on the xbxo is all easy install. just pop it in and answr a few questions on how you want you resolution and what windos manager you want. Shallax I think Is the guy that ported it and he got some shit from the gentoo comunity for not being very gentooish. I still think it is great and I run it on my xbox. Shalax is also working on an xbox media player based on gentoo and mythtv I beleive that looks promiseing but it wants to reformat your f drive and since I use the for software and games I havemt tried it yet.

I just installed Vida and I'm running it right now. I feel very much at home with little tweaking on the UI. This mac style interface is actually pretty nice. This may be the push back into running linux full time that I needed. My only beef I have and this goes for most distros are the somewhat ugly anti aliased fonts compared to windows. Any suggestions for different ones?

Edit: OH MY DEAR LORD DO I LOVE PORTAGE. I've been installing packages like a mad man. Hell it's even easier to install applications than windows now.

Edited by kizzle

I still say just use regular gentoo, it actually teaches you something, unlike this distro. But yes portage is great...unfortunately, I doubt you will get any help from the gentoo community if you say you use Vidalinux heh. You'll probably be told to go to #vidalinux or something

Yes yes I know I'm a dirty rotten whore for not using pure Gentoo but hey Vida works. I'll install regular Gentoo when I get around to it.

Edited by kizzle

The Vidalinux experience is over after the install. Then you have a nice stage 3 install of Gentoo.

Wait Vida is just an installer someone made for Gentoo, and not a stand alone distro?

Wow I haven't been paying attention...

Part of what makes Gentoo the beauty it is is the way the install works and how it can be customized, and the learning that is involved with completing that, but I guess for the people who can't handle that at least they will be using Gentoo.

I still recommend using Vida only as a stepping stone to making your own Gentoo system.

I tried it and it installed ok but no sound on the box I tried it on. The funny part is if you do a non griphical install it mentions erd hat and gentoo being installed at the same time. I figure they took all the parts from the red hat anaconda install and just changed it a bit, but they missed some of the redhat stuff.

This installation process is outlined in detail

in the official Gentoo Linux Installation Guide

available from Red Hat, Inc. If you have access

to this manual, you should read the installation

section before continuing.

If you have purchased Official Gentoo Linux, be

sure you register your purchase through our web

site, http://www.redhat.com/.

Looks to me like someone got lazy and just changed a variable or sumthin

I will post the picture I took later when I get back inside where my camera is.

I dont recomend it because you would still be just as lost after it was installed as you were before so you didn't install real gentoo.

Edited by regicide666

It's only beta 2.. but the redhat thing is still pretty funny. I'm with everyone else with saying that you might as well do the real Gentoo install, but if you want a gentoo system fast, and you're afraid you'll mess up the real install then try vidalinux. Also if you don't use Gnome then skip Vida and just do the real Gentoo install.

Haha they did a good job of covering their tracks making that installer, editing out conflicting names and such. That is enjoyable.

Altough I bet the Gentoo community is really happy with association with redhat Vida has provided :cuss: