dual

Firefox pop-ups

21 posts in this topic

sometimes on operamail.com i get one. i think its only after i send a message though.

heh. One more reason to use Opera. I can safely say I don't like Firefox. I've used Opera on Windows, Linux, QNX and BSD - and it's just darn great. Built-in features (mouse gestures, popup blocking) as opposed to plugins/extensions, the Opera skins change more than just icons (!!) and it also has a *relatively* small footprint. It's not open-soure, but the features it has over the Mozilla suite just seem to make it better - and worth the price (or download of the free fully functional ad-enabled version).

EDIT: You use Firefox...on Operamail.com - oh the irony. Do you see the irony ?! Hiyuk Hiyuk Hiyuk.

Edited by semen

I'm definitely blocking popups.

block_popups.png

AOL puts four cookies on your box...

aol.com - s_sq

aol.com - s_cc

www.aol.com - nonmember_onload - Content: 1

www.aol.com - prompted - Content: -1

If either of the bottom two are missing, you'll get the popup.

it only block new window pop-up that damn onsite stupid little flash pop-up make it threw with about all browers with popup blockers :(

I RARELY get any popups with Firefox. I have yet to run into a problem with it. I love it. I never really cared for opera much... Just didn't like it. No real particular reason other than the stupid ad in the way and I'm not about to pay for a browser.

That ain't a pop-up on tek-tips.com. It looks like one, but a "real" pop-up opens something up in a new window. That just uses a <DIV>...</DIV> and CSS to put a moving square on the page.

If you really want to get rid of that annoying square, find something that can block this file:

http://www.tek-tips.com/jsource.js

...I think AdBlock can filter it out, but disabling JavaScript (per-site) will do the job too. And, no, Opera wouldn't have blocked it either.

i dont get much popups only from certain sites where the know that the mojority of people going there are running firefox such as packetnews.

dual, i get those all the time on buddyprofile.com and lyricsondemand.com and NOPI.com and many others. they are very anoying, but most of the time you can just click out of them. So its all good.

g 2.0

since its not a pop-up add, mozilla lets that ad bar on the right side of suprnova.org page display advertisements. so, in mozilla, if you right click and select 'this frame' > 'Show only this frame' the advertisement frame disappears.

block_popups.png

Wow, nice skin. I want that, whats it called?

Edited by Spency

Wow, nice skin. I want that, whats it called?

It's a GTK theme called Leech.

Dual what version of Firefox are you using? I just upgraded to 0.9.3 and I didn't eve see a moving box on the page.

0.9.3 - I'm super-anal about updating. Looks like tek-tips did away with that annoying ad.

since its not a pop-up add, mozilla lets that ad bar on the right side of suprnova.org page display advertisements. so, in mozilla, if you right click and select 'this frame' > 'Show only this frame' the advertisement frame disappears.

Does that shut them off permanently?

I've seen sites that do PopUps in FireFox but only when you click a link ( goes to link and pops up an advert )

since its not a pop-up add, mozilla lets that ad bar on the right side of suprnova.org page display advertisements.  so, in mozilla, if you right click and select 'this frame' > 'Show only this frame' the advertisement frame disappears.

Does that shut them off permanently?

No, you are simply closing the frame, doing the same thing you could do manually in IE through viewing the source

At least Mozilla/Firefox lets you do that. I'm sure Microsoft will put that feature in its web browser in about 80 years.

I've seen sites that do PopUps in FireFox but only when you click a link ( goes to link and pops up an advert )

Like http://omghax.endofinternet.net...very annoying. So to prevent anyone further from exploiting that, I'm gonna put a © and on those methods.

WTF!!! Thats the only time ever ive gotten a popup on Firefox is aol.com!!!! that sucks! the other site didnt do it but aol.com did. Thats so god damn evil!!!