Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belgarath

Linux device as serial port?

3 posts in this topic

I'm researching the hardware specs for my laptop and all I could find for the IR port was this:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/liberty/00000033.shtml

Does this mean I can not use it like a standard irda device with irda-utils? I know it says under windows it looks like a serial port but I know from past experience that linux treats hardware differently.

So do I need to code up some tools of my own to work with it since it is seen as a (16550AF) Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter (UART) serial port has there been work done for this? I tried google for several searches and on most of them I got no hits. Any help or links to documentation I can read (Or even better code or utilties) would be very helpful.

irda utils will not work with that since it says on that page that port is not irda compliant; Watch the boot screen and if you get /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 detected then the irda port should be the second, /dev/ttyS1 - You may need to load modules for it with modprobe (man modprobe, man lsmod, man rmmod)

Your main problem is from what I understand that type of port is stateless; I do not know as much about serial port programming as I would like but your going to need mad skill to deal with the differences. I suggest you read the serial-programming howto, it should be in howto-text under debain if I am remembering correctly.

Either way that documention I just told you about should help you.