Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belgarath

Linux Distro that Just Works for me(tm) wanted.

16 posts in this topic

I’m having allot of trouble finding a linux based operating system to go on my gateway 2k laptop.

Everything I find is CD based and it has no cdrom drive at all on this unit.

What I need is the following:

A bootable linux based OS.

A floppy or windows95 based install via umdosfs

Should be under 100 meg if possible if I have to keep winows.

Must work with my pcmcia network card (pcnet_cs module I think)

Must run ssh so I can use my network from it and ssh from it.

A local vi/gcc setup would be nice but is not needed.

I dont want X since it is too big.

I would like to wipe windows and give the full 720 megs to linux on ext3 if possible.

I have tried the following linux distros (since yesterday early morning)

Slackware 10:

The boot disks for the install do not support my network card.

There is no other way to install it then by either cdrom or nfs and I have no way to do a nfs install anyway.

Zipslack 10:

Install was great but booting fails with:

init: cannot execute /sbin/agetty

init: id c1 respawning too fast disabled for 5 minutes same goes for c2,c3, c4,c5,c6

‘no more processes left in this run level ‘

And a google search is no help at all, While others have had the same problem everyone who has had it has been forced to not use zipslack for lack of a fix.

Debian:

Lack of documentation and confusing image names for the disks made this a problem from the start. Google was no help and mirrors seem to be missing files I may have needed to do it correctly.

Plea for help:

I have nfc wtf to do. I have RTFM and STFW many, many times and I spent all of yesterday doing so for several distros. For over 16 hours. As you can see all failed. I need a linux distro that works for what I need. Please help.

If you need the laptops technical specs this is the same laptop in http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7512

Must it be Linux?

I put OpenBSD on my laptop and it's really nice.

You can boot from floppy and then install from network etc.

It's stable and seems to be quite secure.

Hardware detection was good, stuff like usb mouse, touchpad and PCMCIA wlan are running without probs.

I really dont care what OS it is as long as it boots and lets me ssh to other computers on my network via the pcmcia network card I have.

If I blast the windows that is on it I have no way to get data on it. So I need a solution that I know works.

Open BSD. How hard is that to install?

init: id c1 respawning too fast disabled for 5 minutes same goes for c2,c3, c4,c5,c6

you just have to comment out the c1-6 lines in /etc/inittab

you just have to comment out the c1-6 lines in /etc/inittab

That sucks.

I just wiped the drive trying to put open openBSD on it. The damn disk modified the drive. Now it has no OSat all on it and the hd is messed up since the bsd install guide is incorrect.

Now I have nothing and it will not boot. I feel like a newb. :(

Now my only option to get data onto it is via floppy. I can no longer use the windows 95 that was on it to get data from the network.

Edited by Belgarath

Did the OpenBSD install wipe out the win partition, or did it just mess with partition tables?

Or since it does not boot at all perhaps not properly installed a bootloader?

When a Linux install screwed my MBR a good ol' DOS boot disk and 'fdisk /mbr' brought it back to life.

And yeah, the drive partitioning was the hardest when i installed OpenBSD, but the howto was quite accurate.

What exactly did you screw up?

Try what I've done every time I've had a HDD that because useless. Zerofill it. It's worked for me twice, so far, and if the drive is truly unusable then there's not much to lose.

omg no. Debian net-inst is by far the easier thing I have ever done. I used maybe, 5 floppies in all, to get it up and running on my network, then apt-get install'ed the rest of my wanted software. But, if indeed you want a nice installable system from floppies, I suggest you look at muLinux and Trinux. I prefer muLinux, but there are more packages for Trinux.

I ended up finding the correct docs, reading them, and loading up debian via a floppy based net install. I love it.

Thanks for your help everyone!

On that note:

The system has no /proc/pci interface for some strange reason. Is there any way I can find out the sound card and hardware info for the irda port without it?

does `lspci` work ? Or try /proc/bus/pci instead of /proc/pci depending on kernel version.

Nope it does not work at all. Says it cant open that path as it does not exist.

That laptop is very old bro, It doesnt even have sound on it I dont know what you could use it for outside of a dumb terminal that lets your lazy :P butt sit in bed all day while you code (Damn I wish I could do that!).

Then again, I guess with your other computers right there on the other side of the room it wouldnt really matter; Just ssh in and start up something like music or whatever.

The next laptop you get is MINE, ok?

:D

The next laptop you get is MINE, ok?

:D

What do I get?

So if not PCI what could it be using?