Cr4X

Got myself a new (old) computer

10 posts in this topic

I just got a cheap old computer, it's an IBM Personal System/2 Model 30, 10 Mhz 80268! It's running MS-DOS 3.3 atm, but I don't plan on doing that for long (at least I would use 5.0 or higher), so I thought about installing a Linux/UNIX system on it.

It doesn't have a CD-ROM drive so the distro would have to be on a floppy.

Would that be possible? and which distro would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Cr4X

ELKS will only run on direct relatives of the 8086/8088.

Keep DOS on it. Get Turbo C++ or something and start messing with inline assembler.

mov ax, 0x13
int 0x10
mov ax, 0xA000
mov es, ax
xor di, di
mov ax, 0x0101
mov cx, 0x7D00
rep stosw

Marvel at the boring blue screen. :P

No, but seriously you can learn a lot of cool stuff by playing around with those old compilers and doing weird stuff like that. That's actually the same model one of my HS labs had. That's where I started doing ASM.

BTW, either the 30 or the 30Z has a weird quirk. When we did this (no comments about how redundant/incorrect the code is... I was 15 and lazy!):

xor ax, ax
mov es, ax
xor di, di
label1:
mov bx, ax
xor ax, ax
mov cx, 0xFFFF
rep stosw
mov ax, bx
inc ax
jmp label1

The machine would complain that the clock needed to be reset on each reboot. We never figured out why.

:wub: Memories :wub:

It looks like you were overwriting an area of the nonvolatile memory, which would wipe out the bios settings. I'm not sure where the battery backed memory is mapped, but that 0-0x20000 seems like it would have it somewhere. It probably would do the same on modern PCs.

I don't mind using DOS, but the stuff I got wasn't really anything worth, since I thought it was impossible to get any programs for it. But if I can install Turbo C++ and try out some programming, I will keep it.

But how am I gonna install the program? My floppies aren't supported.

If you're looking for old games and stuff check out

http://www.the-underdogs.org/

They've got abandonware and some 15 year old shareware. I remember some of the titles from when I had my smoking hot Packard Bell 286 12MHz with 1 Meg of RAM.

I think there might be an Atari emulator that works on a DOS box. Maybe you could turn your old PC into a dedicated 4bit gaming system :)

Your delicious system is actually 20bit. The 80286 was the first emergence of the tasty 16 bit protected mode (which is actually 24 bit.), but in 20bit realmode it acts like a 'fast' 8088 processor. So ELKS should work on it.

Maybe Minix will run on it?