greyarea

Asterisk Live cd

17 posts in this topic

everyone thinks you need special hardware to run asterisk.... WELL YOU DONT!

you need nothing besides an ethernet card. everything else is optional.

Hey, you could also use token ring... :P

Yeah, Asterisk can do a lot with just a network connection. Special hardware lets you hook up standard analog phones but it isn't a necessity. You can use a SIP phone on your Windows/Linux box to make your calls if you'd like.

receive and place calls over the regular PSTN line the fxo card would be connected to. thats about it with the fxo cards. youd have to place the call from a soft phone too since you cant use the fxo card with regular phones.

Edited by natas

So I could set up a box to be my answering machine/vmb system/accept faxes with it?

uhh i dunno about the fax part?... but otherwise ya.

well you could do faxes...if you had some fax emulation software set to answer an extension...I mean it's all the same whether it's hardlined or software....just getting the software to do whaty ya want is where it's at...

I like the "wake-up call" feature you can do.

So I could set up a box to be my answering machine/vmb system/accept faxes with it?

Sure, if you give me a vmb for helping you get that fxo card :wub:

Having my own VMB system sounds fun. But my hardware is not supported. :(

Edited by Belgarath

I attempted a send a fax last week over Nufone / Voicepulse but could not get it to work.

edit i found what i was looking for

Edited by phrank

:blush: so how can i set up a remote call in pbx so i can dial in remotely and then dial out from the box? how would i set it up with asterisk ive never used it but if its possible ima give it a shot (ONCE FUCKING SBC GIVES ME MY DAMN DSL MODEM THAT THEY GUARANTEED WITH A 5 YEAR WARRANTY! BUT SUPPOSEDLY EXPIRED :wacko: ) Edited by SUB-S0NIX

read up on www.voip-info.org and check out the digium handbook and all that. what you do is set it up to do incoming calls then from there you have an extension or a program that lets you dial out. theres alot of different ways to do it tho.

Every time I burn the iso the md5's dont match.... After about going through 3 cds I said WTH and tried to boot anyway on a laptop just to see if they worked.... the didnt.... <_<

Note: I used K3B

Edited by Cr45 Du57