Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamesmalone

What to do

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an old compaq contura 410c, 4mb memory, no cd rom drive, floppy drive, 350mb drive. What should I do with it that dosen't involve throwing it in the trash or spending money to upgrade it.

Thanks

paperweight! really, not worth trying anything at all if you ask me

Why not just enjoy the old software that is on it? Or if you are into linux hacking, work on getting a (probably older version) small working distro on there

slap a linux on there and enjoy the pretty white on black terminal.

Install slackware 7.1 or 8 on it via floppy, making sure you not only give yourself at least a 32 meg swap partition, but you need to use the stripped down 'lomem' kernel as well.

As long as you only install the base at first you should be able to get it on the web; just don not let others access it or run services as they are horribly insecure in that version. We once ran a wargames on that version at HHC in fact.

Once your on the network you can install everything you couldnt before from floppies like a simple gcc or g++ install. Your never going to be handle a install of a gui on that so do not even try, just stay away from kde/gnome/X packages and you should be ok.

One Thing I would also do is get the latest 2.4 sources and compile yourself a super stripped down kernel for use on it; Its going to take a few days to compile on that but in the end the new kernel crated just for that hardware will run faster then even the stock lomem kernel.

What network card does it have, and if not you need a pci slot you can use for a 5 buck realtec card.

Thanks for all the comments except useing it as a paper weight (even though that would be a good idea) I think ill add win 3.1 and use it for typeing I guess but I get an error while formatting trying to recover alocation block. Ran it for a week and still no sucess

Any ideas?

Try running scan disk/Disk Defrag.. That might clear up the HD sectors for you or use another PC to format it... although the 2nd idea is more time consuming........

Edited by Linux0ne