Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phrank

Linux

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys i want to run linux... what do you guys think i should start with? I've got windows 98 se on my box right now. What do i have to do so i can get into the nix world?

best thing to do is just download them and try them out... you will find one you like. everyone here has different ideas of what you should use, but the best thing is to find it out yourself... theres Fedora made by the great ppl that gave and taken Red Hat, Slackware, Mandrake... those are the big 3 or the most popular.

but if you goto linuxiso.org you will find a shit load of distros. or there is distro watch (don't know the link for it) you will find between those two sites more linux distros than bland can whore out to his computer! :lol:

I recommend mandrake and redhat to new users but if you are new to linux, dont wipe out your windows box. Get a new box (an old PoS will be fine to start with) and use your old windows box to look stuff up and research. dont just do a complete switchover or you might be stuck.

I agree; Mandrake is my choice for new users, Redhat only if you can get older versions try Fedora they took over for RedHat. Be aware that for some reason If you download Mandrake 10 Official it's second stage install might not work so stick with a earlier version 9.2, 9.1, etc... Slackware is good but takes more effort to setup and I wouldn't recommend for new users unless you did your homework or have someone to help you along. So go for Mandrake or Fedora. Good Luck

-zer0dB

or there is distro watch (don't know the link for it) you will find between those two sites more linux distros than bland can whore out to his computer! :lol:

DistroWatch.org

Edited by AlphaFlood

If you're just starting out (i.e. never touched a linux distro before) I'd go with my standard recommendation and try out a liveCD distro, a la Knoppix or Slax to start. These allow you to run the distro off a bootable CD and do absolutely nothing to your computer's current configuration. If you're running less than 128 Mb RAM, look for a lighter weight liveCD, or boot with what is called a "cheat code", using a GUI that is less memory-intensive. When you're done, shutdown the session and remove the CD and you get your old computer back again.

Once you decide to move along and set up a full install, check out the distros everyone else is pointing to. My .02. :)

PF

It really all depends on how comfortable you are with your computer and your knowledge of computers. Before you delve in remember that it is not an easy transition if all you are used to is MS Windows. Most live CDs come with KDE or Gnome, window managers similar to the look and feel of Windows. These will give you a comfortable and familiar feel, however, when you go to do routine tasks that you normally do with ease on your 98 box you may run into problems. The beauty of these live CD's is, like pixelFiend said, if you dont get it or want windows back you just reboot without the cd. Having said that, you truely do not start on the path to becoming one with your machine until you actually install it on the HD and tinker with it to suit your needs. This is honestly where all the fun begins with linux; learning all the commands, installing and unistalling software, dealing with new fileformats, etc.. You will learn so much so fast that it will call you back day after day wanting you to tinker with it more to learn more.

Distros I reccommend:

Slackware - My Fav! FAST! STABLE! Love it!

Debian - Excellent OS. Very fast and stable. You pick what you want when you want it.

Mandrake - Extremely userfriendly. Great Control panel

SuSE - This one is most like Windows due to its Control panel

Distro I personally hate:

Fedora - Unstable, always screwing up.

don't use linux, use bsd. It's far superior. linux is insecure. I've got 0day code that works for every 2.x kernel (2.0, 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6), and probably every 2.x code later on. The only way to render this code useless is to do kernel memory encryption, which will _never_ be done in linux.

you will find between those two sites more linux distros than bland can whore out to his computer! :lol:

lol yeah or you can do what I usually do, which is go there and try every distro ranked below 40.

or not, i just placed an order for hdd#3 on my lappy today. I wear those plates like war badges. EvilEntity is still one of my favorite distros.

There needs to be a Nubie bsd distro, oh wate there is Mac os x! Well if your are going to go with bsd there is dragonflybsd, freebsd, openbsd, netbsd, (Open)Darwin and other I not in devel or I don't know about. As stated, when it comes down to it you have to chose what you like.

I use and am a big fan of FreeBSD. However, no matter what Open Source OS/distro you choose, you should think about downloading the first Installation CD of Mandrake. This is because Mandrake contains repartitioning software that can free up hard disk space used by Windows 98, so you can run Windows 98 and another OS on the same computer. If you want to stick with Linux and really learn the ins and outs of your new OS, I would jump in and try Gentoo. It is not THAT hard, and there is a wealth of information including a step-by-step Installation Guide, and forums where you can ask questions if you are stuck.

Edited by Elzair