freek

New York Man Indicted for Hacking Verizon Computer

42 posts in this topic

JULY 13, 2004 (COMPUTERWORLD) - An East Chester, N.Y., man has been indicted on charges that he hacked into computers owned by Verizon Communications Inc.

Federal law enforcement officials filed the complaint yesterday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York in Manhattan against William Quinn.

The indictment alleges that from January through April of this year, Quinn, who used the name "decoder," obtained passwords to Verizon's Direct Access Testing Units (DATU) -- computers that technicians use to disable Verizon telephone numbers while performing tests on a telephone line.

Prosecutors allege that Quinn used the passwords to break into Verizon's system at least 100 times, allowing him to test and disable telephone numbers within various area codes across the country.

Prosecutors also claim that Quinn posted the passwords for various Verizon DATUs, along with instructions on how to use them to break into Verizon's computers, on Web sites devoted to "phreaking," which is the practice of hacking into telephone company systems.

The indictment further alleges that Verizon was forced to spend $120,000 to restore the security of its DATU systems, which included changing the telephone numbers for each of its DATUs nationwide and paying employees overtime to reprogram the multidigit passwords for each of those DATUs.

Quinn is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday. If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000.

Source: http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopic...1,94512,00.html

Quinn's attorney, Roland Thau, couldn't be reached for comment today.

Yeah, i'm gonna try to see if Emmanuel will let me cover the bust on Off The Hook tonight. I'm gonna go to the courthouse soon to try and get more info on the case.

:(

Thats our decoder right? I still can't beleive it, we must do something.

Yeah I posted this around midnight when I first read it. The post was deleted, so perhaps the mods rather not discuss this here. You should edit your post.

Yeah I posted this around midnight when I first read it. The post was deleted, so perhaps the mods rather not discuss this here. You should edit your post.

sometimes the board fucks up, sometimes accidents happen, nobody is gonna erase anything.

on another note this sucks major cockage...man...5 years is a mighty long time :(

sometimes the board fucks up, sometimes accidents happen, nobody is gonna erase anything.

Strange because the thread already had about 10 replies...

That's unfortunate they targeted decoder, it's likely there were many others accessing those DATUs as well. Although he shouldn't have released so many scans I suppose.

The other thread was locked by a moderator and then delelted.

Yeah I figured as much. Freek should go ahead and edit out his post then if he's reading this.

Do you know Emmanuel I-baLL, or will you be on off the hook?

Edited by Caustiq

I locked it. It was deleted somehow but not by me. The only law I'm laying down is... do not contact decoder.

Yeah, I might be on Off the Hook. Emphasis on MIGHT.

does someone wanna buy freedecoder.org just in case that the media starts twisting this? then we could have a site to get the truths out there before EVERYONE starts fearing because they dont understand the actual facts.

i think it would be a good idea to make sure people are educated about this so they can see why alot of the charges are BS

Edited by natas

.org sounds nice and such for the cause of which it will stand.

yea get the .org, we want to be an organization.

one question i have is how would someone get caught for calling DATU's???

unless they logging ANI...

HOLY SHIT.

Edit: I guess the feds are watching this board then. Shit like this is why I stick to the stuff that's not even remotely illegal.

Edited by Dial Tone

does someone wanna buy freedecoder.org just in case that the media starts twisting this? then we could have a site to get the truths out there before EVERYONE starts fearing because they dont understand the actual facts.

i think it would be a good idea to make sure people are educated about this so they can see why alot of the charges are BS

lets not make something big of it yet, see what happens first.... could just be more incriminating to other people too.

Has it crossed your mind that maybe Decoder doesn't want to become the Kevin Mitnick of phreaking?

... you guys shouldn't even be talking about this on public forums.. it could hurt not only decoder but other people as well.

Edited by Epiphany

Thats our decoder right? I still can't beleive it, we must do something.

No fucking shit .. no way I can let a brother fall down!

sometimes threads get deleted by acident, it would be wise to not contact him, and we need to play this safely, slow and carefully. This is kinda sensative if you ask me, but we have a basic out line, the $100,000+ change to the system was uneeeded, he never "hacked" anything, he did not promote "hacking" of datus, he only used the default passwords (not the so-called "confidental" passes), they left it on default (and on a total uniform setup in NJ), he meant and did no harm, and the standard pursuit of knowledge.

Now I'm sure there is more that can be added on to this, but thats what we should use as the basic out line, this is all true (if not, correct me, I'm sure it is, we all know decoder). And we may have to wait and see what happens tomorrow, if we get more details about the court stuff, hopefully one of us might know of a technicality to get him off.

Has it crossed your mind that maybe Decoder doesn't want to become the Kevin Mitnick of phreaking?

... you guys shouldn't even be talking about this on public forums.. it could hurt not only decoder but other people as well.

yeah, but maybe he doesn't want to spend five years in jail, I"m on the effert to get his time shorted, or find a technicality to get him off.

He might not even return to speak or even thank us, we could never hear from him again, but...

quote Majest|c

turn that "I" to a "WE," Maybe I'm just taking this all difrently than others, or maybe we might help.

ya lets just play this cool until we know more tomorrow. But i definately would like to contribute in a positive way somehow. thanks for gettin that site as well man.

now....i dont think theres any harm at this point in talking about it. its out there. people know about it. you cant stop people from talking about it.

but just be careful because theres no way this site isnt being checked now.

decoder doesnt want someone like emannual protesting or all that gay shit and fucking everything up. LEAVE HIM THE FUCK ALONE DAMNIT. and fuck you to all the fuckups that posted those news articals. cant you let him have some fucking privacy. i hope you all die.

yeah, but maybe he doesn't want to spend five years in jail, I"m on the effert to get his time shorted, or find a technicality to get him off.

He might not even return to speak or even thank us, we could never hear from him again, but...

quote Majest|c

turn that "I" to a "WE," Maybe I'm just taking this all difrently than others, or maybe we might help.

I feel very involved with this, as I should. I feel if this lands at my doorstep, you all have my 100% loyalty that I will zip it and laydown... Noonewill do my time, decoder is prolly the closest person to a friend I have in this scene, and I feel this is going to be big!

Mysite is gone ... so I hope everyone takes all the buttons off ... Please with haste and prejudice .. take all references to my old site down!

Edited by Majest|c