Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pig Monkey

Schoolchildren to be RFID-chipped

10 posts in this topic

http://networks.silicon.com/lans/0,39024663,39122042,00.htm

The rights and wrongs of RFID-chipping human beings have been debated since the tracking tags reached the technological mainstream. Now, school authorities in the Japanese city of Osaka have decided the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and will now be chipping children in one primary school.

The tags will be read by readers installed in school gates and other key locations to track the kids' movements.

The chips will be put onto kids' schoolbags, name tags or clothing in one Wakayama prefecture school. Denmark's Legoland introduced a similar scheme last month to stop young children going astray.

RFID is more commonly found in supermarket and other retailers' supply chains, however, companies are now seeking more innovative ways to derive value from the tracking technology. US airline Delta recently announced it would be using RFID to track travellers' luggage.

:cry:

IMO, that's wrong however you put it... Oh well...I'm not in Japan, or school, so that solves my problem...lol

Edited by Scheda

This is one thing I will protest. I do not no one to beable to track where my lil bro or sis are as well as my future children. I sure and the hell dont want the airport to be able to track me down via my fuxing bags.

In a related story, my high school now has eye scanners so the teachers will not have to take attendance. I personally will not allow my eye to be put on file.

Lol, I would believe that if retinal scanners werent horribly expensive!

Lol, I would believe that if retinal scanners werent horribly expensive!

They actually did tests with it on a few home rooms this year; which adds up to about 90 kids, plus teachers. THe school didn't buy the eye scanner (singular, there is one in the front office as of right now, but there will be more when we return to school), the company that makes the scanners gave them to the school to test out for a year or so and then buy it if they like it.

Edited by DigitalAttrition

so much for skippin school for a smoke break...i mean come on..this is just wrong

"hey, how can we make our already insanely easy job...easier?!...simple, let's tag the little fuckers so we don't have to waste 3.5 minutes taking role"

I would LOVE to go this school. This just SCREAMS for abuse. I man, pop RFID tags that emit the same person's code on everyone. Zap your clothes in the microwave, then pop an RFID tag that does your code on a classmate, enjoy the day at the beach. Set up scanners at 'interesting' hangouts (e.g. the usual drinking and smoking places) and have fun with the blackmail. Set up a guerilla sensor network (not feasible right now, to expensive). Jam the sensors, flood them with bogus info.

This school would be a fun playground for people who want to play with RFID. I would have fun here.

There has to be a budding engineer there that is currently having an orgasm at the ways to abuse this.