Guest CyberSlash009

what the f do i do now

19 posts in this topic

my C: drive got formated in dos..wat can i do to recover it. it was a computer with 2 hard drives like a 20gb abd a 30bg one it was runnning win98 version second edition and it got formatted..HOW you ask??

like this..

C:>format c:

soo wat can i do to recover that???

i am such a n00bie

first of all, do not boot into it over and over to try to recover the data. This will degrade your chances of recovering it as temp files and swap files will be written adn rewritten and possibly write over other files. Get on another system (anywhere) and do a little digging and find out about using knoppix or more likely knoppix STD and read about the drive recovery tools. Unfortunately, it is not really something that can be answerd in a sentence or two. If that contents were that important, you will have to go through that hassle and cross your fingers that it works.

Personally, I have never had good luck with any drive recovery myself, but others swear by them. :-/

when i try to boot up my computer it does a memory test and then when you would go into windows it says invalded system disc. replace disc and strike any ley to contunie... thats as far as it goes

yes, if you formatted, the disc no longer has usable data on it, like the OS for example. to recover this, get a bootable cd with recovery tools, knoppix or ebcd, read up on the recovery utils, i've never done any recovery like that. i'm not sure how much data you'll be able to recover.

most of the time when a system gets formatted like that, i chalk it up as a FUBAR'ed system.

Format c: might not have done as much as you think... dos formatting utilities can only recognize disks of certain sizes, usually 2gigabytes. if the data you had was past the 2 gigabyte mark you MAY be able to still recover the data by doing a disc to disc copy of all the available data from the old drives onto a larger drive with an isolate partition and a bootable partition.

If it HAS been formatted though you're kinda SOL. You pretty much have to be hardcore into electronic forensics and such in order to recover data from a formatted drive... You could always try and get your computer seized under sucspicion of child pr0n and after the pro's recover the data attempt to wheedle it out of them.

There's an application called Final Data I use...I believe they have free trials on their site, unfortunately I've never been there...I got the disc at COMDEX two years ago. Anyways, typically it works out great. www.finaldata.com

no i dont want to recover data i want to reinstall the os. i had win 98 on it and i want to get it back on the comp. but it does a memory check and says the invalad system disc and wont go further i tryed to boot into a knopix std cd but it no worka. Is my computer dead forever? i dont want to get any data off it i just want toget the os back.

Edited by CyberSlash009

ok, you don't want to get the OS back. you want to install a new OS on it.

if you don't want to recover any of the data on the drive, then it's not recovery. to get windows on it, you will have to install it. you will need a windows install cd and most likely a windows boot disk. the boot disk is easy and can be obtained online. http://www.bootdisk.com/

it says invalid system disk because wen you formatted the hard drive, you didn't copy a bootable system onto it.

this is done with the following command

format c: /s

if you did this then instead of saying "invalid system disk" it would just drop you into a dos style c:\>

I have the winxp disc thats the os i wanna install. it had win98 SE on it

as far as i can remember, you dont need a boot disk, if you want to install winXP.

At startup you need to put the disk into the cdrom drive.

Also you might want to change you bios settings and put your primary boot drive to cdrom

OK i got the Win98 SE boot disc from that site and i put it in, it boots up into somethin that looks like a command prompt but i cant get out of the A: (floopy disc) drive. Then i changed the boot order from A,C to C,A. But it didnt boot from my cd. It always says invalid system disc unless i have that boot disc in.

If it HAS been formatted though you're kinda SOL. You pretty much have to be hardcore into electronic forensics and such in order to recover data from a formatted drive...

The other day I managed to recover about 100 digital photographs (out of a total of around 200) from a hard drive that had been repartitioned, formatted with the DOS format command, and Windows 98 loaded on top. If you seriously need to get data back, make sure you look around, the first tool I found only recovered 20 or so.

ok, ifyou are at a command prompt.

try accessing the d: or e: or r:

if the cddrive is mounted and setup by the boot disk, you should have access to the cdrom

go to the cdrom dirve and type setup, proceed from there

when i pop in the boot disc it comes up to a list that syas

1. Start computer without CD-ROM support

2. Start computer with CD-ROM support

3. View Read me file

when i try to boot with cd rom suport to install is just comes up to this

blah

A:>

and it wont let me use any dos commands....

think my boot disc is fed up?

dUDE save your self the hassle man.Your c drive got formated so what cut the loses and put a distro of some sort in it if you want windows put windows in it and reinstall onto the c partiician.You should still have the other shit on the other drive.Data comes and gos...You just have to be on the train for the ride :)

try unformat

Do they even distribute unformat any more? Last time I saw it was in DOS 6.22

Anyways, its unreliable. I'm not sure if it would work on a HDD.

I'm with the whole 'Give up and reinstall' crowd. Remember to make good backups next time :)

If im not mistaken your just trying to install windows xp. If so just pop your disc in the drive and reboot. That will go through the install. If it does not boot up start the computer and hit the F2 key or whatever it is in your bios and modify the boot device priority so that the cdrom will come before the hd./