Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

just a quick question

80 posts in this topic

would it be bad to have two hdd in the same box loaded with the same os?

its a long story and i really don't want to tell :D

Cant see any problem with that, just make sure you set with the jumpers which is primary / secondary, and have them configured correctly in the bios.

(only primary will usually boot)

its a long story and i really don't want to tell :D

come on tell us the story :blush:

well i guess it's not really that long..... actually pretty short

my mobo died...... i think.....or hope not!!! :D

Did IT die or did YOU kill it? I mean what happened, power surge, or short circuit, or how did it die? I've had a mobo go out on me, well I short circuited it so it fried, I wonder if there's anything I can do with it?? well anyway....

i hope IT didn't die.... i have no idea what happen but it was kindda slowly dieing anyhow. the sound on the board went out awhile back and then i had problems with the IDE controllers and now it won't boot. so it was inevible that this was going to happen i just wish i didn't have all of my downloads on that box ( bigger hdd so more storage for P2P). but another question.... how would i tell what kind of mobo i have to replace this one? from atx or whatnot?

well, you need to find a mobo ith the same socket to accommodate the proccessor, that is if you wnat to use the same proccessor, you also need to get a mobo that, as you said, fits your case, if it's a proprietary dell or gateway or compaq case you might have to get a new case while you're at it, don't worry they're not all that expensive.

but how would be able to tell what type of board i need. i could buy it from compaq but i would like to save money and maybe get one from ebay *cringe* or dive and find one (would be sweet), or maybe dive and get a new case!!

wait if i have a compaq box then anyother mobo i buy will not fit my case i have now?

acutally its 20 pounds!!! so its probably 10 pounds for shipping in the UK. that would some shipping charge on that!! but yea its a good deal!!

btw what the conversion from pounds to the us dollar? 1:5?

It's pounds, dammit, sorry man, I gotta read these things more carefully, sorry again, but it still is a sweet deal, yeah I think that's the most general approximation 1:1.5

Dude I know why it's pounds, when you go to ebuyer.com it prompts you for your country, I must've clicked on the uk, just click on the US and navigate to the cases section, the prices there have to be in dollars

ahhhh there we go. Thanx a ton dude!!! :D :voteyes: 20 bux for case and powersupply sweet maybe i should get a barebones sys and get a case and new mobo and just swap drives and memory out of the old case!! probably be cheaper!

That might be cheaper but you get more control over which hardware you buy if you get separate components, but it'd be easier to just get a barebones with a new mobo ram and cpu, but then again the control issue comes up, well it depends on what you want

oh and you might wanna check newegg out:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...pertycodevalue=

holy shit dude.... thanx a ton. i just might go with building a box. it would be a great learning experience

just be careful and take all the precautions (anti-static wrist strap, anti static bags for hdd and ram), I would know what not to do when workin on an open computer, so just be safe and don't be sorry (yeah I know it's cliche but I had to say it)

oh of course. i've worked on open boxes i've never done a mobo yet. so it will be phun!!!

Good luck man, right now I'm lookin to buy a laptop to create a dedicated linux machine, but after lookin at those cheap mobo's I'm thinkin that maybe I should just build myself a cheap duron system and screw the laptop idea, well I'll think about it......

i need to upgrade an old box of mine. and by old i mean an old pack bell pentium 100mhz :D:D! thats gonna be my *nix box just need a bigger hdd and ram

I used to have just that, an old pac bell 100Mhz with 8 megs of ram, with an 800 meg hdd, I had it upgraded to a 1.5 gig hard after a couple of months from buying it, the thing had a factory defect and the hdd was bad. I remember it had 1 meg of video ram, twirlz is this the same configuration you have?? that'd be a pretty big coincidence ^_^

i have a 1gig hdd and its been upgraded to 32 ram, other than that its the same!!! :D

my first box what a pack bell 486 75mhz with 4 megs ram and 500 meg hdd

and i got it at wal-mart :D:D

The 100 mhz pac was my first machine, I actually got it at office depot, now last summer when I was in the market for a new pc office depot dissapointed me, they had 3 yes that is right 3 pc's two hp's and an emachines, I ended up buying a compaq from circuit city, compaq is really aggresive in pricing, I have an ad right here in front of me in computer shopper and compaq is selling a new laptop for 799, did I mention the free 15 inch upgrade, this is a really good deal I'm gonna check their website out.

i like compaq..... except the fact of upgrading. if you have the hand of god and can move your hands in weird ways then you can upgrade! i have 2 compaq boxes a 400mhz 256 megs ram 8 gig and 20 gig hdd and that has crashed maybe 3 times due to the 20 gig hdd ( delayed write error!! *growls*) and then i have a 1.1ghz 128megs ram and a 60 gig hdd and this is the first its gone out and of course it has to be the mobo!!!

yeah, the good thing about upgrading is that it's not like it used to be with proprietary components, I remember I had to change my cmos battery on my packard bell, and the thing was like a miniature AAA, it was weird and it was soldered to the mobo, I had to rip it out and I had to solder wires to the mobo and lead them to a normal 3volt cell battery. Another proprietary thing about my old packard bell was the form factor, it was a desktop, not a tower and it was a really weird shape inside. Well now you'll get none of that crap, I mean it's all standardized ATX and there's only 3 or four cpu sockets it really simplifies biulding a computer, the only thing that would make it easier is if there ws only one cpu socket and only one type of ram, and that would be bad....no variety

well i've configured a compaq laptop, and the 849 price is before the 100 buck mailin rebate, so it should theoretically be 749, that's a good price.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirec...ious_order=true

with my first pack bell... that was a desktop and there was no way of upgrading that... i ended up having best buy put it in because me, my friend and his dad couldn't get it in. so that was really shitty except they had free installation!!

when I got my hard drive upgraded on the packard, well not upgraded changed because it was defective, they installed win 95 on it, and surprise surprise, they had installed a virus on it as well, how much incompetence do you need to install a virus when you are supposed to be a computer REPAIR man, I didn't even take it back, I installed windaz over the whole thing by myself and just forgot about it, when I think about it, they didn't give me any certificate or anything that it was a legitimate copy of windows, so for all I know they installed a pirated copy, well I'm not saying that the copy I installed was store-bought but......