decifer

network basement

11 posts in this topic

well i'm on summer break and after 2 months of doing nothing my parents have decided to make me clean up the house. i decided to start with the basement so i can turn into into a chillin pad with my computer, stereo, etc. plus the couches, tv, etc that is already down there. its not a finished basement so i dont ahve to worry about goign through drywall or anything. i'm just wondering what the best way to run the cat5 cable down there would be? the cable modem is located in my dads office on the 2nd floor. when networking my room all we had to do was run te cable through the attic. i'm just trying to think of what the best way would be to run the cable to the basement would be. you cant exactly just run it straight down through the wall because of all the cross beams and shit. and also i dont think my parents want a blue cord running through the middle of there house to the basement. any help would be greatly appreciated.

well you going to have to run it in a wall down through the floors. There is a wall somewhere in your house that the electrical wires go through so I'd use that. Your best bet to find it is to go to your breaker/fuse box (probly in the basement) and see where the conduit (pipes with cords in them) lead too. The conduit should have enough space around it to fit a cat5 cable through. You will need to get a wire snake and some other tools. And I don't suggest doing this yourself.

You may also want to consider just goin wi-fi

Unless you allredy have wifi, I'd just run the cord beucae you will have to throw down extra cash for a base station. As Bizurke sujested there are allredy things such as water pipes, wires, chimnys and the such that run to the 2nd floor from the basement you can probally sneeks some wires next to them, you dont nessarly have to put the wire through the conduit if there is enough room in the hole in the floor boards next to it. Or you can also run the wire out the window then into the basement so your parents wont see it.

my parents dont mind it. my dad is a computer science major so he kinda knows what he has to do but hes lazy as fuck and doesnt feel like doing it. i know i can get my mom to convince him to help. as far as going through the walls is concerned that was what i was thinking findig which wall the actuall cable is strung up through and trying to fish it through there to the basement. my mom mentioned wifi but i dont really feel like making my parents drop all that money plus my dad jsut laughed.

Make sure you know what you're doing before you go drilling into your walls!!!! Can never stress that one enough...you could seriously mess up electrical or plumbing if you are an amatuer and just start drilling.

Id move the modem and run cat5 from his office, or get 2 switchs and 2 wireless bridges or something like that assuming you already have a router.

Move the cable modem to the basement and make your dad do the work to expand the network to the 2nd floor. That should get him moving.

If you want to be evil do the following:

Get your mom to agree with this before your father finds out.

Make sure she tells him to do it.

Have the basement network all set up and online before this happens.

He may disagree, but in the end lazyness and the need to keep your mother happy will prevail.

:lol:

F$ck drilling, moving or anything. Just get 2 Power over Ethernet Adaptors

Problem Solved...

F$ck drilling, moving or anything. Just get 2 Power over Ethernet Adaptors

Problem Solved...

why PoE?

I'm thinking he may have figured it out. I'm sure they figured out something over the last two years since he asked. Hell, he probably doesn't even live there now.

I'm thinking he may have figured it out. I'm sure they figured out something over the last two years since he asked. Hell, he probably doesn't even live there now.

woah, thanks for pointing that out. in that case, NECROOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!111111111111