Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

beastie boys new cd

19 posts in this topic

Apparently Capitol Records is now doing the whole copyright shit on their cd's and started with the Beastie Boys: To the 5 Bouroghs....

saw this on bugtraq

>Well I truly regret actually purchasing a copy of the new Beastie Boys

album

>to support them.

>

>It seems that Capitol Records has some sort of new copy protection

system,

>that automatically, silently, installs "helpful" copy protection

software on

>MacOS and Windows as soon as you insert the CD into default systems.

>I'm not sure exactly what it does yet, but I am sure regreting

actually

>purchasing said media now... they don't deserve my money if they

choose

>to pull stupid stunts like this. Installing software without your

permission

>sounds like viral malware behaviour to me. I certainly hope the AV

companies

>put signatures into their products for this crap.

>

>They include some sort of uninstaller buried on there for Windows, but

>I see no such thing for MacOS. If anyone has disassembled the

>aforementioned malware already and can save us some time with

>instructions on how to remove it... thanks in advance.

>

>caveat emptor,

>--dr

From what I read one of the beastie boys said that they didn't like that their is copy protection on their CD, but, EMI put's it on all of their CD's.

Edited by nazareth

From what I read one of the beastie boys said that they didn't like that their is copy protection on their CD, but, EMI put's it on all of their CD's.

well it is their music... they should let the artists decided whether or not they want the copy protection

This makes me feel sick...

I cannot believe that they would go this far. I don't know how this could be considered legal.

I respect Phillips more than I did before. I'm glad they aren't allowing the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo to be placed on CD's like this. What a shame...

I refuse to pay for any music now, no matter who the artist or record company is, because of shit like this.

Does the new Velvet Revolver disc have it too? I bought that and it installed something...I hope it's not some nasty spyware.

Here's what's on the CD:

- a folder called "assets" with movie.mov and project.dxr

- autorun.inf --> [autorun]

OPEN=beastie.exe

- beastie.exe

- QuickTimeFullInstaller.exe

And the volume title is invalid Unicode.

Here's what's on the CD:

OPEN=beastie.exe

- beastie.exe

so wtf is the big deal then.... they install the software you need to watch movie.mov... granted you wouldn't have known untill you goto watch the movie or till you see the quicktime icon in your systray... unless there is something more i don't give a fuck cuz im gonna buy the cd anyhow cuz beastie boys fucking kick ass!!!

Here's what's on the CD:

OPEN=beastie.exe

- beastie.exe

so wtf is the big deal then.... they install the software you need to watch movie.mov... granted you wouldn't have known untill you goto watch the movie or till you see the quicktime icon in your systray... unless there is something more i don't give a fuck cuz im gonna buy the cd anyhow cuz beastie boys fucking kick ass!!!

Same here!! :P

installing anything when all you want is to listen to music is fucked up. the same with how you wouldn't want me to install some shit on your box without you knowing what it is. It is wrong as simple as that.

well it is their music... they should let the artists decided whether or not they want the copy protection

yes it should be this way but its not. the music industry is money hungry and the musicians are under contract. sure the artists could refuse to release any music but it wouldnt do anything cause the next artist hungry for money would just replace them. in a capitalist society theres no stopping it. so as long as your making the money u have to live with it. the beastie boys are already part independant, they produce and make all there won music and everything in one of there basement studios, so there in charge of production and all of the music so no on at the label can exactly tell them what to make. but they are not in charge of cd distribution, so what it comes down to is emi is just feeding off the beastie boy name. its bullshit but i dont see it stopping anytime soon. easy solution, dont buy music. it hurts the artists as well but they're already getting paid bullshit anyways.

on another note, I"m an old school beastie boys fan. Is this new disc worth me spending $20 on?

on another note, I"m an old school beastie boys fan. Is this new disc worth me spending $20 on?

if you don't mind the shit that gets installed on your computer or your just playing it in your cd player then............ hold on let me check my kick ass meter.... beastie boys new cd....... oh yea its worth it!!!

cool shit, I ususally listen to CD's in my car anyway so I can bump that shit.

If you wanna know the real deal about the 3 well let me tell you we're triple trouble yall and ima bring you up to speed!

From the B-boys Message board:

Just to clarify, here's the deal with the copy protection on the CD:

a) The copy protection is in all territories except the US and UK -- US and UK discs do not have this protection on them;

B) All EMI CDs are treated this way, TT5B isn't protected in any special way;

c) Beastie Boys would have preferred not to have the copy protection, but weren't allowed to go against EMI policy in these territories.

There ya go.

ian