Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Symbiont

Red Boxing

33 posts in this topic

does it still work? In my area alot of the payphones are bellsouth owned. How could I find out whether they are red boxable??? Would any old tape recorder do? Also, where would I get the tones for red boxing to work. From what I understand whenever you insert a coin to a redboxable payphone it generates a tone which tells the telco you have X amount of credits inserted. So you get a recording device (ie: mp3 player, tape recorder) and record those tones then when you go to a redboxable payphone you pickup the phone and playback the tones (into where you would normally speak into) and you should have credit for calls, correct?

First off, you can't use any old tape recorder, it has to be digital. The sound quality of an analog isn't good enough. Second, to find a boxable phone (correct me if I'm wrong) just blow into the microphone of the phone and if you can hear the blowing coming from the speaker you're set.

Edited by AlphaFlood

to find a boxable phone (correct me if I'm wrong) just blow into the microphone of the phone and if you can hear the blowing coming from the speaker you're set.

ZZZZT, wrong! :)

Not only do you have to be able to hear sidetone (the sound of you speaking into the mouthpiece), but you also need to find a phone that connects toll calls through ACTS (Automated Coin Toll Service), which is coin control through an operator services tandem; no coin control happens inside the phone on such a call. For an example of what an ACTS call sounds like through a Nortel DMS-200 tandem, go to http://www.stromcarlson.com/audio/ and listen to "Pacific Bell ACTS call." If your phone doesnt sound similar to that, the likelihood of a red box working is probably nil.

How could I find out whether they are red boxable???

just try it, man.

I found some tones on the PLA website, I have a little mini digital radio shack recorder (a little bit bigger than the size of an average pen), I just put the recorder to my headphones on full blast and recorded the tones (dime nickel quarter) on different tracks, hopefully the quality is good enough. I'm gonna go test it out today at a few places.

Just tune your voice like Lucky 225 :) (Default ep 28)

There are also a bunch of tones available at PnG

I found some tones on the PLA website, I have a little mini digital radio shack recorder (a little bit bigger than the size of an average pen), I just put the recorder to my headphones on full blast and recorded the tones (dime nickel quarter) on different tracks, hopefully the quality is good enough. I'm gonna go test it out today at a few places.

Blech, that wont work. The quality on those things is quite horrid. You dont want to distort the tones.

i ofund that school payphones are the easiest to box becaus ethey rae usualy from like the 20s :) MAGNETO PHONE STYLE!!!

You could burn it to a CD-R and play them through the headphones.

all the recording techniques you guys are talking about arent going to work too well, because the (insert noun here, strom) that detects the tones is sensitive enough to notice the distortion created by converting that sound around whilst moving the tones from wherever you got them to wherever you are using them. pretty much, if you are not generating the tones from the device you are also using to play them, your chances of success fall off pretty rapidly, and depending on the quality equipment you have, not even that is a guarantee.

the (insert noun here, strom) that detects the tones

Hmm...if it were TSPS I might guess "register"; #1 ESS (from which TSPS is derived) is just mechanical enough to possibly have actual register-senders. But now that I think about it, I really dont know - a digital ESS or DMS certainly doesnt have anything as baroque as a register-sender, and 1/1AESS probably doesn't either. Perhaps the correct term to use here is "subroutine."

(I will have to investigate this further now)

when i played my tones i used an mp3 player and thoes huge DJ headphones... you know the ones, beastie boys stylee

hey guys

I put a red box tone in mp3 format suitable for use in mp3 players on my site.

http://www.hackermedia.net/chocula

go under files.

it was supposed to be 1.00 tone (4 quarters) but the last one got clipped after the 2nd chirp...i appologize and ill fix it when i get the time. thanks to ic0n for the tones too.

sometimes if yoru goin through an op and you play the tones to fast one after another and the operator dosnt hear any change klinking they hang up or say somethin like "sorry its not registering with the computer"

at least thats my expierience

so i say i have a shit load of Quarters and rattle my keys while playing the tones ;)

i noticed that before when i tryed to box back in the day

Edited by Spaz101

well, if you listen to my recording of an ACTS call actually paid for with coins, you'll notice that there's a LOT that goes on besides just the tones - relays in the totalizer clicking, the sounds of coins going into the phone, etc. An operator who hears this all day every day is going to know when something is off about it.

sometimes if yoru goin through an op and you play the tones to fast one after another and the operator dosnt hear any change klinking they hang up or say somethin like "sorry its not registering with the computer"

at least thats my expierience

so i say i have a shit load of Quarters and rattle my keys while playing the tones ;)

No you don't! and you don't use your mp3 player either! We're not all idiots here

Argh. Red boxing dosen't work. You need to have either an ancient payphone, or an unbelievably retarded operator. And even then, you can only get local calls! And you don't even need a box! Just tell the op that you put the money in but the buttons are broken. If he/she is that dumb, she'll put you through.

your better off just getting an op to make the call for you like dude said.

Here's a simple way I've been using for about 4 years.

Call 1-800-COLLECT

Say your (name) from MCI and you need them to help you out. Ask what their Agent or login number is, then ask what's in their 'notepad field' then tell them you need them to put through a test call to a number in the (area code u want to call) NPA and then give them the number. You can even have them wait on hold till you d/c and make another one for you if you wish, but I'd suggest not.

Argh. Red boxing dosen't work. You need to have either an ancient payphone, or an unbelievably retarded operator. And even then, you can only get local calls! And you don't even need a box! Just tell the op that you put the money in but the buttons are broken. If he/she is that dumb, she'll put you through.

Thats bullshit, it works plenty of places. Don't believe everything you read.

(Bizurke @ Jun 22 2004, 11:23 PM)

No you don't! and you don't use your mp3 player either!

actually yeh i do use my mp3 player, you got a fuckin problem with that?

Edited by system sacrifice

I have one CD I burned that has my red box tones, white box, blue box, green box, what have you all burned on it. since it's an mp3 disc, and my cd player has a little LCD that shows the folder and track names, I named some folders with ANAC numbers and such and just put blank mp3s in them so they'd show up on the player.

ph33r my 5-in-1 phreaking tool.

:ninja:

I also have a sweep tone and quarter tone on my MP3 player that I always have on me.

Edited by PseudoKroW

i just have a folder in my mp3 player for just red box tones and the LCD displays track titles ofcoarse

its also a portable hard drive