Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quasi_Mofo

Linux booting from Firewire drive?

4 posts in this topic

Are there any Linux distros that would support booting from an external Firewire drive?

I wanted to do this as well a couple of months ago, but scraped the idea. I think you need to see if the kernel has firewire support, and if your bios supports booting from the firewire drive, this is what I checked first and my bios didn't supportbooting from firewire, only usb, so I just bought an internal drive.

The bios would have to be the thing to support booting off it. As far as I know the linux kernel has firewire support, so it would just be the bios which has to boot off of it. You could always have a partition anywhere that linux can read and use it, so you could also boot off a IDE or other media and then mount the main partition off the firewire drive.

I can boot from an external Firewire drive. Not a problem. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to take a Linux drive and plug it into my other computers that have Firewire, so I could boot up into Linux on any of the machines.

But, I sorta answered my own question this morning by slapping myself in the forehead and letting out a deafening "DOH!". Since I use Macs, I've been playing with a couple of PPC-based distros, namely Yellow Dog (basically Red Hat 7.2 ported to run on a PPC processor), and Mandrake 8.2 PPC, which I installed this weekend. Both run well, but I thought it would be nice to play with some straight Wintel-based Linux....but I realy don't want to buy *another* computer. ;) Then the light bulb came on and I remembered that I have Virtual PC on all my machines. Sooooo.....I downloaded the ISOs for Red Hat 8.0, burned the CDs, set up a new virtual machine in VPC and installed RH 8.0. It runs really well and it'll be fun to play around with.

The cool thing is that I can copy the Linux disc image to any of my other machines with Virtual PC. I can tinker and experiment with Linux all I want, and if I screw up and hose something, I just have to recopy the disc image into Virtual PC from a backup copy.

But it's good to hear that at least some Linux distros do support Firewire, cuz that opens alot of other possibilities.