Mr Poop

When did you start messing with phones?

35 posts in this topic

I started in 1994.. Wow, seems so long ago.

When did everyone start messing with phones?

True story: In 2001, I moved to a Pacific Bell area, where before I had only lived in independent telephone company territory. I looked at the manhole covers and said "Bell System? What's that?"

I then read the history of the telephone company, bought my first 500 set, disassembled it, reassembled it, and I was hooked, though for a year I was completely uninterested in switching.

Today....well, um, you know me. Anyone who has called my answering machine will tell you I'm phone-crazy :)

Edited by Strom Carlson

2000, I learned about the ring back and the anac, now here I am.

I started about a year ago. With alot of my friends being 'elite' I wanted to learn. The phone has always been a fun tool for me :).

1998-1999 school year (8th grade) I read a lot about the colored boxes on my friends website (web design class). That led me to read 2600 and do some research on my local PSTN. I discovered US WEST used an ORM at my CO, but not 5 miles away they used a 5ESS. Then I read a lot about switching. Eventually I became bored with it and focused more on networking computers, and recently I became interested in the telco again.

Edited by HoldThePhone

I started about 4-5 years ago I guess. I'd been pretty into off-beat technology and stuff, and was no stranger to wardialing for years. So the moment it really started was when I went and watched the tech from my ILEC install a new phone line for me because I was looking forward to having it. But in the excitement of getting a new phone line, I got curious about what he was doing. What was that little grey box he was attaching to the side of our house?

Well after he attached it, I opened it up, and looked at it. I got the general idea that those red and green wires were maybe the phone line some how. I went upstairs and cut open a phone line with some nail clippers, and noticed the red and green again. I thought to attach the wires to the terminals in the TNI with some scotch taped paperclips and a phone. Well I shocked the shit out of myself, but I heard a dialtone. A friend told me afterwards that I'd just build a "beige box", so I looked up beige boxes and stumbled upon all kinds of stuff, and now I'm completely obsessed.

I think the one thing that's always kept me intrigued about telephones and the PSTN is they've always been relevant. No matter where you are, you can pretty sure there's probably a telephone nearby. They're the backbone of modern society.

odd story for me i started reading into it back in my freshman year (jr now) but i (i think in like 7th grade) was looking in a phone book (being the prank caller known as "Richard Loy") and i saw that little add that was saying how to tell if your phones broken or of the wirings bad and next to it was a diagram of a beige box and how to use it, thought itd work for the neighbors house so i tried it then worked with it then forgot about it for a couple years... i still have my old beige box, her names Melissa :)

Edited by Spaz101

I started messing with phones shortly after discovering the Phone Losers of America. They got me started and it all built from there. At first I was only interested in getting free calls, destroying shit and pranks, but I've actually gotten extremely interested in the system itself now. I love those intercept recordings.

Well I know not many people on this board know me, but I'll post my history anyway. I'm from a very small town, fewer than 300 people, all of them served by what must have been about the smallest independent telco in the nation. It was a pretty disreputable town, and pretty much the only things kids my age did in town was fuck and take drugs. A lot of these kids didn't have phones in their homes or cars, so the single payphone in town was their primary means of communication with the outside. A lot of times in the summer, there would be some kid posted in front of the payphone all day to field calls and deliver messages to other kids in the town.

One time I walked by and this hot girl was posted near the phone, so I started talking to her. In the course of conversation, she showed me how all the calls these kids placed from that payphone were free. They simply asked the op to connect them, and she did. (To this day I'm not totally sure why this was, and it's no longer true now, so maybe I'll never find out.)

As usual, I failed to get anywhere with the hot girl. But I had somthing a lot more valuable--my intrest in how telephones (and telephone companies) worked. I learned a lot before I ever found out about the organized world of phreaking.

They simply asked the op to connect them, and she did.  (To this day I'm not totally sure why this was, and it's no longer true now, so maybe I'll never find out.)

Probably a COCOT. Read up on them and you should be able to figure out why it worked.

audio equipment (recorders, etc), 1993 (when i was like 5)

first reel to reel machine. 1995/96, dun remember exactly

internet, 1996 (webtv hax0ring!!!) 4th grade

computers, 1997 first laptop, then family got real computers....

then it moved on so much from there.

girls, 2000

first semi-real studio, 2000. 2 mixers, amps, 2 cd players 2 tape decks.

2001, cool edit came into my life and started me on audio editing

2003, late spring started recording/producing for local bands, making professional CDs and $$ stopped in early 2004

"phreaking" came to my life the summer of 2003 where it all began. and that's a crazy story right there to tell someday.

Edited by doug

Cassete captain at age 5. Microphone mayhem at 7. Telephone Tinkerer at age 10. Phone Phreaker at age 13. :D

Started last year with a quick trip beige boxing (on memorial day to be exact) and then moved to scanning and error messages (etc) later on in june-july :wub:

Edited by Y0ungBra1n

and how old are you doug 15 or so? (please pardon me if im wrong and correct me) if so man girls in 2k you musta been a playa at a young age

im 16

i got into girls more at 13.

heh me i still think they are stinkey (girls that is) and they have cooties, even tho girls just cant keep their hands off of me, i just let them do their dirty work and leave... i feel so violated, and amerous

OMG SPAZ! JOCK YOURSELF!

Edited by natas

I started in 1994.. Wow, seems so long ago.

When did everyone start messing with phones?

arond 97-98 sometime between there with good old skytel. just like yourself and Captain_B!

OMG SPAZ! JOCK YOURSELF!

hahaha i dont know your slang but i have a FEELING i know what yoru talking about

i have been using cvomputers since i was 2. my dad is a pretty big computer/electronics geek, and as so, it was passed on to me. i first got into hacking in the summer of 2002, i was 12. i was a total newbie, and i was reading all the texts i could find, i learned about the boxes and all sorts of phreaking tricks and i got really excited! then someone told me that none of it works anymore, so i stopped caring. then arround april this year, i found ddp. it re-sparked my interest, and since having my interest re-sparked, i have made a beige box, red boxed, gotten a butt set, had a tour of my local switch, learned all sorts of crap a bout COCOTS, found out about an ANAC, listened to default radio, and more!

I owe it all to Minor Threat and Mucho Maas... they got me wardialing somewhere around 1992/1993 (not personally but by releasing ToneLoc). But other than that I really didn't do much with phones other than scan for carriers.

Let me see.. I've been messing with computers since I got my first one back in 1988. I believe I became interested in the phone system around 91-92.

I'd have to say it happened the summer going in to freshman year. I was signing up for a web service and it said "this server does not allow hacking or "phreaking" websites to be hosted" This was after i saw the movie "pirates of silicon valley" that talked about how they made blue boxes and that sort of thing. so that kinda laid in the back of my head. then one day i was calling home for a ride from the library and it hit me "shit, I can do anything I want from this payphone and no one can find me....I bet i could even cheat the phone compnay" then suddenly those two things poped into my head. I looked it up on google, and like every 8th grader getting in to phreaking, I became a phone loser scene whore. id like to think ive come a long way since then.

I belive it was 1998 or early 99 when I really got into them. I'd read about phreaking for a good year or so before I started doing anything with it. But now 5+ years later I'm still into it.

it was 1984, i was 5, and had a nast habbit of taking a philips head screwdriver, and dislantling things (lost many a good RC car that way). picked it up again in '97 on a dare, but im glad i did. half of my family works for verizon, and they are a great source of information, union regs, and manuals. but the future is unfortunately in wireless, but still the phreak adapts

(PS have moded MoTo DPC's '92-'95 (pre EE3), and interested in interesting trades. if you dont know about the old MoTos google the 'motorola bible" by mike larson, and look carefully at the test mode functions, pin outs, and cables)