Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EpyonMelee

Fedora wifi help

27 posts in this topic

ik i got fedora up and running but i cant seem to get it to see my wifi nic real noobie to this any help appreciated

THE WIFI NIC IS VIA RHINE II FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER

The module you are looking for is via-rhine.o ;

Try as root 'scanpci' if you do see your wi-fi card then install the via-rhine module. (man insmod)

if your not sure if you have the module then 'locate via-rhine' or some derivation should produce something like:

/lib/modules/kernel_version/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o.gz

iirc Fedora has the module.

-zer0db

:huh:

If it is a 'Fast Ethernet' adapter, it isn't a wireless card. Unless I'm not understanding it correctly. I don't think Rhine is a 802.11 chipset. I may be wrong.

But, OK, "can't get to see my NIC" is kind of vague. What NIC is it (Brand/Model)? Also, what computer is it? It worries me that Fedora didn't pick it up automagically. Is this Fedora Candidate 1 or 2?

But, lets run through the motions, I'll assume that I'm confused and I'll tell you how to get the rhine adapter working.

First, open up a terminal window. run 'su root', it will ask for a password, it wants root's password. Give it.

Next, run ifconfig -a. It will pop out lots of stuff, there should be at least one interface, 'lo', and if you have just your Wireless card plugged in, there should be a eth0 as well. If your computer has built in wired ethernet, there may be a eth0 (wired) and eth1 (wireless).

If it doesn't see your wireless card (as ethX), run 'modprobe via-rhine' and see if it spits anything out about IRQs. If it doesn't re run ifconfig -a, see if the eth0/1 interface popped up. If it didn't skip the next paragraph.

If it did, we can move on to configuring the interface. Still as root, run 'iwconfig ethX essid WAPNAME' where ethX is either eth0 or eth1 (depending on what your config is, see above) WAPNAME is replaced with whatever your WAP essid is. If you have WEP enabled run 'iwconfig ethX key YOUR_KEY_HERE' where YOUR_KEY_HERE is replaced with your WEP key. Next, run dhcpcd, you should pull a wireless connection from your LAN. Ta da.

OK, if that modprobe via-rhine complained about IRQs or something else didn't work. run 'dmesg' as root and either PM me or post the output of it on here.

Good luck.

(Linux user since 2.0.24 representin! ^_^ )

Edited by BlackRatchet

yea its a "broadcom 54g maxperformance 802.11g"

Broadcom.... Hmmm....

Well, hate to break it to you, but I think your wardriving days have been cut down before they started, as Broadcom doesn't support monitor_mode on their cards and hence is unusable by Kismet. I learned this the hard way. <_<

That being said, if that 'yea' was to my question of whether eth0 and eth1 show up in an ifconfig -a, they are both installed and merely need to be set up by running the said iwconfig commands. Life is good.

Let me know if this isn't the case. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

hmm will network stumbler work?

or perhaps airsnort?

NetStumbler: Yeah maybe.

Airsnort: No

nuts

Buy a Orinoco Gold Wireless card, (or one of its deriviants) it will work wonders, plus you can get an external antenna. Best wireless card out there.

nuts

Buy a Orinoco Gold Wireless card, (or one of its deriviants) it will work wonders, plus you can get an external antenna. Best wireless card out there.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE OLD LUCENT ONE!

Don't get the dell branded ones or the new proxima ones. I mean, they will work fopr normal networking/wardriving... but they don't have the same "potential" that the old lucent ones do. ;)

nuts

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE OLD LUCENT ONE!

Don't get the dell branded ones or the new proxima ones. I mean, they will work fopr normal networking/wardriving... but they don't have the same "potential" that the old lucent ones do. ;)

Oops. Yeah, what he said. My bad. Although the Dell Truemobile 1180(?)s work fine. The other one I recommend is the old Compaq WL110

This is EXACTLY what I have (bought the antenna seperate though)

All highly recommended. :D

hey stankdawg how much should i pay for it tops becasue its at 31:00$ already whats the highest you think i should buy it for?

hey stankdawg how much should i pay for it tops becasue its at 31:00$ already whats the highest you think i should buy it for?

Not that I'm stankdawg, but I paid $51+shipping for mine.

wow why are they so expensive?

is there any cheaper card for sale that can do the job fine?

sorry this isnt on the wifi topic fer ya but i must say i like the ernesto guevara avatar epyon are you a big fan of guerilla warfare? someone in the bushes throwng a granade at you then hiding asgain only to pop up 5 mins later... like bill gates's ego

Edited by Spaz101

wow why are they so expensive?

Because they do everything, are well supported, and lots of other people want to wardrive too.

is there any cheaper card for sale that can do the job fine?

Maybe a WPC11 from Linksys. But Orinoco > *, just suck it up and buy it. You wont be sorry.