Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuy

Linux Noob question (pleas dont flame!)

7 posts in this topic

Hi, well im about the biggest linux noob you will find. (well exsept for the people who have never tryed to install it) The other day, i tryed to Dule boot Xp with Slackware. and everything went ok, but when i tryed to boot into linux I had a problem. I logged in as root, then i typed in my password. Than i reached the part where you type Startx, I typed it in, and my screen went blank. I am assumeing that it has to do with my Nvidia graphics card. pleas if possible inclued spicific instructions, i would grately appretiate it. (remember you are talking to a compleat linux noob :huh: )

The best advice I could give you would be to go to nvidia's site and download their linux drivers. Included with those drivers is a README that tells you how to configure X to use them. Good luck

Lumi

are you sure you specified the right horizontal and vertical sync rates for your monitor when you configured X? trying to use a higher resolution or refresh rate than the monitor can handle can also make it go blank.

yes, install the nvidia drivers then i'm afraid you're going to have to edit a file...

/etc/X11/XF86Config and in the Video card section you're going to have to change from "vesa" to "nvidia"

..also in the xf86config file, there is a section specifying the resolution and colordepth. make sure it isn't set to some outrageously high figure. 1024x768 with 24 or 32 bit colors should be cool.

also like psychopuppy said. your monitor has a max vertical and horizontal sync rate. looking the modelnumber up on the internet will probably give you the optimal settings. put that into XF86Config as well.

rather than editing the xf86config file, which can be a little confusing for a noob as you put it, just run the xf86config utility from command line.

HTH

had the same problem as well. Just get the driver from nvidia and follow the readme it comes with editing the file isn't hard and looking at it will help get used to editing config fiile yourself some other time. Just read and you will have no problems.