kizzle

Giving a Linux box something silly to do

19 posts in this topic

I'm moving soon from my mom's house and then stopping back in a couple months. My 350mhz is of little use to me but the lazy bastard isn't going to sit around doing nothing. I'll being putting a random linux distro on it and giving it something pointless and silly to do while I'm gone. What that will be I have no idea. Unfortunately it will have no internet connection, just power.

Suggestions are welcome. I'll pick the most creative one then report back in a couple months. Hurry I could be moving as soon as the 9th of this June.

Edited by kizzle

i would say run something like distributed/net or SETI@home then i read you wouldnt have an internet connection :(

you could try and compile a full gentoo system from scratch on it! bahahaha. of course..i guess youd need a interenet connection unless you somehow got ahold of all the packages before hand...

put POV ray on it and render some huge elaborate creation with full AA and reflections and whatnot. that would be neato.

put it to work finding the worlds largest prime number, you can find a program to do it and you don't need the internet as far as I know

calculate digits of pi

using the bailey, borwein, borwein, ploufe formula for calculating hex digits of pi, without calculating the preceeding digits. very kinky thing. it a simple equation that allows you to start calculating pi at the 10,000,000,000 digit, without calculating any of the digits before it.

anyway, leave that running for a few months, see how many digits you can calculate

try to effiecietize the hell out of the thing, and try to increase your bogomips count!

get l0phtcrack, pm me, I'll give you my /etc/shadow and in a few months you can tell me my root password

get l0phtcrack, pm me, I'll give you my /etc/shadow and in a few months you can tell me my root password

in a few months? uhh you should read more.

to quote "L0phtCrack is an NT password auditting tool." - http://www.securityfocus.com/tools/1005 . now, since the shadow password package doesn't use the same hashing that NT does, I fail to see how l0phtcrack will ever give you a working password.

try to effiecietize the hell out of the thing, and try to increase your bogomips count!

uh dude, you know of course that bogomips has nothing to do with how fast your system runs?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BogoMips.html

anyhow, bogomips just reflkect how many times a second your chip can do nothing. This has nothing to do with how fast your harddrive works, or how efficient your drivers work, or anything relating to anything you can do save increasing the bus speed or cpu clock speed (or I guess you could totally redesign your chip if you had a microproccessor lab...)

Personally I would look for an odd perfect number, as nobody has ever found one, but no proof exists to suggest they don't exist. I have always wondered if an odd perfect number exists.

and for all of you who have no idea what I speak of:

http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/mersenne/

to quote that site:

"It is not known whether or not there is an odd perfect number, but if there is one it is big! This is probably the oldest unsolved problem in all of mathematics."

another quote from http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PerfectNumber.html

"t is not known if any odd perfect numbers exist, although numbers up to 10^300 have been checked (Brent et al. 1991; Guy 1994, p. 44) without success."

anyhow,

cheers

in a few months? uhh you should read more.

to quote "L0phtCrack is an NT password auditting tool." - http://www.securityfocus.com/tools/1005 . now, since the shadow password package doesn't use the same hashing that NT does, I fail to see how l0phtcrack will ever give you a working password.

well you got me... you sure know more about password crackers than I do. Maybe someday I'll be k-rad like you :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

uh dude, you know of course that bogomips has nothing to do with how fast your system runs?

anyhow, bogomips just reflkect how many times a second your chip can do nothing. This has nothing to do with how fast your harddrive works, or how efficient your drivers work, or anything relating to anything you can do save increasing the bus speed or cpu clock speed (or I guess you could totally redesign your chip if you had a microproccessor lab...)

i know, just as the link that I posted with that suggestion says. bogomips is fun.

i know, just as the link that I posted with that suggestion says. bogomips is fun.

Use dnetc as a benchmark, that's the best test.

have it compress a 1 gig file as many times as it can.

how about compressing <enter amount here> of random data and seeing if you can find a set of random data that has the same md5 sum after compression (obviously stripping off the header info the compression program adds to it)

so start at 10^300 +1 and go from there

personally I would only check odd numbers divisible by 3....or in essence, looking at the problem backwards may prove easier, find the factors first... if you look at brute forcing 8128 this way...

add 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,127,254,508,1016,2032,4064 you get 8126.

now, you can represent the first 7 numbers a 2^n. then numbers after that consist of n*<prime> where prime exists as a larger number than 2^n-max.

So I would suppose, you will find the first odd prime as 3^n + n*<someprime>. Of course, once again, we find ourselves looking for primes, in this case (since all numbers up to 10^300 have been checked) we should start looking after 3^314 or 654747700701377386126856657861679570529800895801424573182559133258946484061065580876771978236269380302819031314362546968961704181923607153180171236969 whatever form your perfer (note: 3^314 < 10^300 ).

anyhow, once you find the next prime (ahahahhahaa) you'd add up all of 3^n and n*<someprime> and if that equals 3^(n-max) * <someprime> you have found it...

or wait, then you'd have to go back and make sure those were the only factors of your newfound spangely number, cause if the factors add up larger than the number, the number gets classified as some other type of number that my memory fails on remembering, miuch like 24 which has factors adding up to 36. gosh, I wish I could remember what that was called.

Edited by RijilV

have it compress a 1 gig file as many times as it can.

how about compressing <enter amount here> of random data and seeing if you can find a set of random data that has the same md5 sum after compression (obviously stripping off the header info the compression program adds to it)

That idea has merit but it's been done already. Do it with sha1 instead.