Random_Cola

Rumor Confirmed!

13 posts in this topic

I would like to confirm that redboxing still does work, more so than you would think. I have found several verizon phones in the area (904) that are redboxable, it was tested ^^ makes me happy...w00t

ya weve known that for awhile now

Who told you it didn’t work anymore?

It's true their are some phones it doesn't work on but a lot of them can still be “redboxed”

it pretty much should work on all payphones in the US that are run by the RBOC, cause they would use the ACTS system

Edited by natas

90% of the phones here dont work because they are still qwest (even tho qwest is selling their phones) ive tried and none work... except 2 phones. 1 at school and 1 at a local coffee house that isnt their anymore

it pretty much should work on all payphones in the US that are run by the RBOC, cause they would use the ACTS system

except milleniums, which are on POTS, and those that mute the microphone.

Cant you jest tell the op that there is a problem and then she ask for the money and you do the tones it has always worked for me.

agreed. if you use AT&T to place a long distance call on a pay fone it wont work because AT&T doesn't accept coins anymore, but reginal calls and local calls should work without any type of problem...

Just op-divert people. That's how you get red-boxing to work, no matter what. The only thing that's really gone is red-boxing for long distance except for in certain locations.

except milleniums, which are on POTS, and those that mute the microphone.

um, POTS and ACTS are not mutually exclusive. Every payphone is a POTS line (have you seen an ISDN payphone? cause I sure havent); ACTS is a tandem-based thing.

um, POTS and ACTS are not mutually exclusive.  Every payphone is a POTS line (have you seen an ISDN payphone?  cause I sure havent); ACTS is a tandem-based thing.

In Europe ISDN payphones are kind of popular but for example here in Poland this was fucking mistake because such a payphone does not offer more (but is able to) than normal one and costs of ISDN line and this payphone are rather high.

Can you explain me what is the difference between ACTS and POTS ? I assume both are normal PSTN lines

um, POTS and ACTS are not mutually exclusive.  Every payphone is a POTS line (have you seen an ISDN payphone?  cause I sure havent); ACTS is a tandem-based thing.

In Europe ISDN payphones are kind of popular but for example here in Poland this was fucking mistake because such a payphone does not offer more (but is able to) than normal one and costs of ISDN line and this payphone are rather high.

Can you explain me what is the difference between ACTS and POTS ? I assume both are normal PSTN lines

ACTS isn't a type of line, it stands for Automatic Coin Telephone System.

This page can explain the system better than I can.

Verizon still uses ACTS in some places for intraLATA long distance calls, hint hint.

default radio ep 24, as well as thousands of threads across the internet forums...it just depends on your telco and the payphones in your area. redboxing will live on until acts is gone or they switch all payphones to nortel milleniums(this is my opinion of the US section of the world,i make no claim as to know what the hell the rest of the world is doing).

Edited by Dramius