Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuy

Linux Emulator

10 posts in this topic

Is there a program That Emulates Linux on a Windows Computer.(is there a program that dose the same thing that WINE dose but for Windows?)

Yes,. theres two

One is called Cygwin, the others is a proprietary Windows product that emulates a POSIX environment. I'd actually recommend the Windows product, because rather sitting slowly in User Space like Cygwin does, it actually uses WIndow's POSIX interface. Better preformance.

PSOIX is standards, you're looking for Windows services for Unix (I think, why not just install linux you lazy bum? :P )

i'm a fan of cygwin. i use it all the time, it's my home away from home when i'm forced to use a windows box. the really crazy part is you can load X windows in cygwin, and run some X apps... in windows.

since winnt3.51 MS has said the OS is POSIX compliant. but this is only for the nt based os's, nt, 2000,xp. if you have 9x or ME you are not POSIX compliant and must get cygwin.

Cygwin isn't as slow and crappy as one might intially think. the system are compiled dll's and it'll shell out new processes and services. Most of the apps are ports of linux stuff to windows, so they are windows apps, just being run from this tasty bash console. It's just a replacement for command(cmd for xp dudes). You can even get apache for it, so you have the linux style / rather than the windows \ . you can test out your cgi scripts locally to make sure they're crossplatform.(sometimes the slashes do mess things up)

Edited by replax

Also check out cooprative linux, it runs under windows and is a linux distro by itself.

VMware will emulate a computer that you can install linux on. It will cost you big bucks, but there is a 30 day demo. You were saying something like Wine for windows, i think that the closest you can get is cygwin, it does emulate a shell but you dont have to. If you complile a lunux program with cygwin, you can run it with just the .exe and cygwin.dll

yeah with cygwin most things compile just fine, the only thing i've had a problem with is compiling nmap, it didn't know where the libpcap was even though i specified it explicitly. but most other things will compile fine. (you can download the nmap windows binaries and run it from the commmand line, so it still works.)