pixelFiend

Microsoft Question

9 posts in this topic

Hey,

I have a friend who wants to upgrade to XP from Win 2000. I have very little knowledge of XP (I do have a Win 2K box though), and he was asking about the differences in XP Home and Pro. Could someone give me an idea of the differences, and more importantly, your opinion of whether or not the difference is worth the higher price. He's a basic home user, but I suspect that his son is more technically inclined.

Also, he's looking for an open source antivirus solution. What do you XP users use and why? I've looked into clamwin for him briefly and plan on checking it out more after work. Good idea? Is it user friendly at all?

Thanks for any help.

PF

If he wants open source anti virus, why does he want to use windows? is there some reason?

Anyway, he should probably just upgrade to Windows 2003, it's better than XP from what I hear

If he wants open source anti virus, why does he want to use windows? is there some reason?

Basically because that's all he knows. I've tried to get him to come to the light, but he's dragging his feet. :)

Generally you could say he's lazy, and has in his head that open source = free. I've tried to enlighten him a bit, but you can only do so much with some people. What can I say, the guy likes Windows. :blink: I told him that I'd ask around since I haven't really played with Windows much since 2001 and I'm behind the curve. I guess I myself should really upgrade as well just to stay current... nah.

PF

The major difference between home and pro is:

- Pro supports domains, where as home only supports LAN

- Pro has support for two processors, this is also needed for use of hyperthreading

- Pro has support for dual monitor

I don't remember more of them, but if he needs this, then he should go Pro, also make sure to get the version that has Service Pack 1(a) installed, if you can since it makes Windows much easier to work with. :D

Pro has a feature that allows you to access it remotely, and it has some sort of File System encryption.

Thanks for the info. I'll tell him to go with the home version. After reading these and looking around a bit I don't think that there's anything in Pro that would warrant the extra $100 for him. I just handed him the antivirus info and told him what to look for.

Thanks for the help. Sorry I wasn't around this weekend... out of town. Sun and fun at the beach. :voteyes:

PF

1337: all windows from 2k and above have FS encryption.