Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djmollusk

Pear PC

23 posts in this topic

i'd like to play around with it, but i need a couple iso's first.

*continues the hunt*

sure it's not going to run very fast and there will be problem i'll run into.. but I think it looks like fun. to play with.

I'd love to give it a shot, but the two machines I'd try running it on are both tied up. I also tried looking around at work for the install DVDs to make ISOs and I can't find them either. I'll get around to it eventually. Sounds really really cool to play with. Good incentive to get moving with a project and free up a machine.

PF

i saw a demo and review of it on the screen savers a few nights ago, i think it was monday or friday. it is very SLOW! it'll work most of the time, but it take abvout 6-8 times longer to do things and some programs will crash becuase of its slowness.

this also emulates a ppc linux distro?

Edited by g_virus

this also emulates a ppc linux distro?

yes it does. They hae a screen shot of it doing just that on their site. There is also something about fixing the Debian Boot Cd problem in the release notes.

i saw a demo and review of it on the screen savers a few nights ago, i think it was monday or friday. it is very SLOW! it'll work most of the time, but it take abvout 6-8 times longer to do things and some programs will crash becuase of its slowness.

Well, thats to be expected. The PPC series were the first to have processors specially adapted to run the Mac operating systems. First of all, the emulated processor has to be run within the confines of the scheduler on Linux, which is one big roadbock....Then theres also the fact that intstructions that might take 1 clock cycle on a tuned Mac processor might take many, many more on an Intel processor.

This looks interesting. I'd be interested in the hardware requirements for getting OS X to run at a "useful" speed. If it's anything like getting Windows XP to run under Virtual PC in OS X, they would be pretty hefty. I can get WinXP to run, albeit very sluggishly, on my Dual 867 G4. I'd suspect that OS X would be rather sluggish under emulation as well.

The Pear PC FAQ says that they have have been unable to get OS 9.x to run under emulation. I'd be curious if it could be installed under OS X for Classic Mode from a system restore CD.

The Pear PC FAQ says that they have have been unable to get OS 9.x to run under emulation. I'd be curious if it could be installed under OS X for Classic Mode from a system restore CD.

That'd be cool to see. So is it processor speed or RAM that's causing the sluggishness? I saw that someone was testing this out running an Athlon 1600. I wonder how the 64 bit procs would do?

PF

I'd have to say it's both RAM and CPU speed. I have gobs of RAM, and it doesn't make any differece running VPC. VPC limits you to only allocating 512MB to each virtual machine, so no matter how much physical you have you can never set the software to access enough.

It also has alot to do with the requirements of the guest OS. I can get Win2000 to run great. Not as fast as if on a PC, but very snappy and responsive. WinXP....forget it. SLUGGISH! I can get a little boost if I turn off the XP eye candy and revert it to the "classic" theme, but it's till slow. Usable, but very slow.

I'm very curious as to how PearPC would handle the Quartz Exteme emulation (if at all) for OS X. I'd have to imaging that would cause a big performace hit, as the CPU on the PC doing the emulation would probably have to pick up the slack, as opposed to the graphics card if it were running on a Mac.

They have the torrents of the OS X install CDs........ :nono:

pearpcscreenshot.jpg

it's pretty kickass let me tell you.

Edited by Dox

Very cool, how's the speed? What are the specs on the box you're running it on?

PF

:voteyes: :voteyes: extreme coolness!

Would also like to know your specs and the performance. How long did it take OS X to install?

I'm so used to seeing Windows emulated under OS X, this is kinda freaky.... :blink:

specs:

amd 2800+ barton

512 ram

ati aiw 9800 pro

win xp pro with latest critical updates

~4GB free on hdd

it took ~3 hours to install. i got rid of things i didn't need like printer support and additional languages.

it runs fairly quickly, the mouse is a little sluggish and programs take about 5-10 seconds to open. also animated things, like a window opening or an icon bouncing, tend to chop.

i can run several things in windows while running pearpc, like winamp and extra browsers, without noticing a difference.

the only problems i've had with it so far are one freeze when trying to download firefox, and the keyboard being mapped in an odd way.

Edited by Dox

Yikes! A 3 hour install! Very cool that you got it to work though. You might be able to squeak out some better performace by turning off some of the eye candy like the bouncing Dock icons.

What is happening when you get the freeze trying to d/l Firefox? Is OS X freezing, or the emulator? Do you have problems with any other downloads, or just Firefox? Trying to think why that might be giving you trouble.

actually the firefox instlal is going great. i wasn't giving enough time. that and i didn't know i needed to drag the icon into the aplications bar after downloading...

i'm quite impressesed so far, my it seems that my only problems came about with my lack of understanding..

i give it three thumbs up. why now eh?

Glad to hear you got the d/l taken care of. Welcome to OS X. :voteyes:

This site: http://www.macosxhints.com/ has TONS of groovy tips that might help you get more familiar with it. Also, the O'Reilly book "Running Mac OS X Panther" is a great resource. Have fun!

BTW: can you drag and drop between the two OS environments? Or at least set it up to share files/drives between the host OS and the OS X emulation?

i don't think drag and drop is possible. but i saw a post about sharing files between the two os' on emaculation somewhere.

i had it working one day. now when i start the app it closes right away. trying to figure out what I did.