Cr4X

My computer keeps crashing

13 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago I had a problem with my computer crashing, and getting a BIOS error messeage about the CPU was overheating, before I could even install Windows, so I bought a new Zalman CPU coolor (I had the Intel CPU coolor that came with the CPU), which I had heard was very good. So I installed it, using the cooler paste (the old one had coolor tape), as good as I could and started the computer, and installed Windows which worked pretty flawless, but already at the very same evening it crashed again, and ít's been crashing frequently ever since.

My computer specs are:

Intel D845PESV Motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 2,66Ghz 533/400FSB (not completely sure) with Hyperthreading

Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu CPU cooler

Kingston 512mb 333mhz RAM

Some kind of 300watt PSU

Some shitty case, that won't allow much heat to slip off, so I have taken the side off (but it still crashes)

I am unsure about what the problem is, it could be four things IMO:

1: The CPU-cooler could be bad or installed incorrectly

2: The Motherboard could be damaged and therefore displaying a wrong error

3: The PSU could be generating too much heat near the CPU or be too weak

4: The case might not allow enough air to get through, but it can only be participant in the problem since I have tried taking the side off and having two external room ventilators create better air flow in there

Thanks in advance.

PS: It seems to be crashing mostly at CPU intensive applications, like when playing Far Cry, but I've been able to download Fedora completely without a single crash.

Edited by Cr4X

*resists the chance to point out that it's probably windows*

buy a whole lot of fans? (particulary the supper cool led ones)

Also install some software (motherboar monitor for windows) and see what the temps are?

First thing you need to do is figure out if you're dealing with a hardware or software problem. Go download Knoppix (linux distro that runs from a cd), burn the iso on a cd, and run that for awhile and see if it crashes.

http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44

If Linux crashes then you have a hardware problem. At this point I can almost guarantee it's a problem with your ram. If you have multiple sticks try swapping them out only having one in at a time. Or borrow a stick from a friend.

Edited by kizzle

Skip using knoppix or fedora and use the 3.1a iso from http://www.memtest86.com/ instead to test your hardware.

Once you have the parts of your ram that are failing, test it again in BADRAM mode and get the badram paches for a custom kernel.

Eh? Its his RAM because he's getting an error saying his CPU is overheating?

Could the bios be monitoring the video card overheating? Since you mentioned it happens when playing games, maybe the video card is overheating. Also, make sure your bus speed settings are correct in general. If you are overclocking, even accidentally, it would cause an overheating problem.

All right, I've installed a motherboard monitor which reports max. 43C so far, and I've been using my time to do some distributed.net, which I belive is pretty CPU intensitive :P.

Oh yeah, I am 99.999% sure the BIOS is correct, and I haven't done any kind of overclocking.

I am pretty sure the computer also crashes under Linux (It did when I updated Fedora last night), but I haven't used memtest yet, which is what I am going to do now.

Thanks for the many replies.

I've downloaded and burned memtest but on test2 it seems to fail somehow, it just stops and I can't use the menu or anything not even ctrl+alt+del.

BTW: It also has a habit of crashing when checking for virusses.

All right, I am completely sure it's a hardware error since it crashed under Fedora. I am still getting the error about CPU was overheated, but the highest temp. so far is 44C, which means my CPU cooler is working perfectly. The question now is, how do I know which hardware is causing the crash?

I tried putting the side of the case back on, since I thought it would crash either way, but it seems to be crashing more often then, so I am a bit on doubt of what to do. If the CPU cooler isn't put on correctly, why does Motherboard Monitor 5 report that the temperature is 43C. Could it be the BIOS that's the problem, which is set to shut down on 44C or somethng like that, meaning that I have to update my BIOS? And if it's not that, how do I locate the problem?

Stank: No I don't think that's the problem, since it's crashing pretty frequent in uplink :blink:

Edited by Cr4X

edit by stankDawg: joke removed...

Edited by StankDawg

g_virus: Well I am seriously considering something like that, but maybe I wouldn't smash my hardware like you suggest, and I'm still gonna stick to Intel, but if I get a new motherboard, CPU and RAM, there shouldn't be a problem right?

Just to make sure, there isn't any problem with this configuration:

Intel D865PERL Motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0Ghz 800FSB Hyper-threading

Kingston PC3200 (400Mhz) 512mb DDR-SD RAM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 40GB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB

MSI FX5950U-VTD256 (Geforce FX 5950 Ultra)

300watt PSU (Is it enough?)

edited by StankDawg: Thats 2! One more? :growl:

Dont flame his specs, ANSWER the question or :stfu: He didn't ask you to bash his choices or specs. :pissed:

OK OK! i reccomend you go with an AMD cpu, becuase there is alot of info backing it's use, and its cheaper and doesn't expell as muych heat as intels. i dont care for intel mother boards, but i guess they are alright most of the time.

just try getting a new cpu and mobo, and please choose amd and an asus/msi mobo, i highly reccomend it!

btw: nice hard drives and video card!

Edited by g_virus