Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hacnslash

writing with knoppix

7 posts in this topic

I am currently experimenting with knoppix, and I was wondering if you can write to a ntfs partition with it. I know you can read off of an ntfs partition, but I want to know if I can save for example a txt file after editing it. Thanks for any upcoming suggestions!

You could possibly try mount -n -o remount,rw / - however I dont know if it'll work. - Im sure someone else will be able to recommend a better command :)

Writing to NTFS from Linux isn't feasible right now. Make a FAT32 partition to talk between them.

found a little on the subject here and they say that NTFS access is still 'experimental' in version 3.1 so I'd recommend getting a USB flashdrive (what I ended up doing) or floppy (yes, people still use them occasionally).

Or i figure I could run knoppix off the dvd drive and use a cd-rw in my writer, is this possible?

A usp floppy IS possable as I have done it many many times on the lappy am currently using to post this.. it uses winhoXpPro when I dont have a knoppix cd in it slot, so the ntfs was a worry.. the floppy works great as /dev/sda though, just change your /etc/fstab to change the gui and uid to knoppix so you can work with it without trading blows with the defualts.