Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raven

locking your xp box

3 posts in this topic

my box is under xp and others get on it, is ther a way to lock the drives so they can only access the xp games and the web (there not very computer lit) i want it to have no access to my c drive and the cd drive to not work for them, how the hell would i do this?

Well, are these people other users like do they have each have an account of there own or just use your account all the time?

perhaps, i have done something like this with win2k, not xp, but it may work, on the otherhand it may fubar your system.

open up a drive so you can see all the directories and files, select everything goto File>properties

go to the security tab

you should see the file priveleges

this is what i did,

for other reasons, i removed the group "everyone" and replaced it with the group "authenticated users" but that really something else all together.

but you can go into advanced and specify accept/deny priveleges for each user,

add the specific username or a user group you have created for them. then you can edit the priveleges for this user allow for "traverse directory/execute file" and "list folders/read data" and "read attributes" and "read extended attributes" deny for everything else.

there is a checkbox to "reset permissions on all child objects..." to make sure all the files and folders get set.

hit apply

probably want to create them a small dir someplace for storage, go there and change go to properties>security>advanced edit priveleges and click allow for all the options except "execute file", so they have their own little storage space someplace, just for data files, can't install anything or mess with the system