Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StankDawg

Bandwidth for hackTV

38 posts in this topic

The final file for HackTV will be pretty large. The medium quality file will be around 260 MB in Divx 5.1 format. We are also trying to make a lower quality WMV version that is less than 100 MB, but we cannot guarantee that.

What I will need is some volunteers to help "seed" the file. Specifically, those of you with high bandwidth it would help if you download using the torrent and then LEAVE the file OPEN for as long as you can (overnight, a few days, etc...) so that people can leech a little bit from all of us which will help my bandwidth. Frankly, I do not have enough bandwidth and 260MB * total downloads will be huge so every little bit helps.

try to download with bit-torrent and/or from any mirrors that we can make available. If you can volunteer to be a mirror, that will help also, but you will need a "real" pipe, not a DSL or cable modem for that.

Anyway, contact me at stankdawg@stankdawg.com if you can help out in some way.

:paw:

I'll seed too i got cable and can keep it open for a few days or longer... :)

What I'm doing for my show actually is making it all in WMV format because it seems to save more than DivX. either that or i sux0r at the divX0r. But anyways...low quality version up for download...but quality u can still see such as if you zoom in on a money order u can see it. And just save the high super quality for DVDs when you include in binrev magazine. thats my idea anyways :)

im down for seeding it i dont got the best for cable (fucking comcast) but every little bit helps.

get a .mac account stank!! haha. or just strip the audio from it and make it hacktv-audio. For the visual part of this TV show please send money to

jk

hey once i have the file it will be on the Direct Connect Hub. i will have it there as well as a seed for BT

everyone with a freakin' internet connection can seed the torrent. will you be running a tracker, stank?

everyone with a freakin' internet connection can seed the torrent. will you be running a tracker, stank?

thats the plan...thanks for the offers. I will post more 411 soon.

when is the release?

How much bandwidth does seeding the file take? I'm getting a 10 MBit colo server soon, but its got a fairly low monthly transfer limit. We could do it if it doesn't use too much of that...

Mirroring the whole thing is out, though....would eat our transfer.

i'll just download it with bit torrent and just leave it running for however long people are still downloading chunks from me. nice connection through my college here. If you're on Internet2 you can download very fast from me.

Edited by djmollusk

wow: OK, Here is the deal. Saitou and I are setting up the .torrents now. I will also put up straight download links to get them from the site. If someone can provide an out-and-out mirror, taht would be great! Give me a URL for it and I will send you the file and I will put the link to your mirror on the hacktv page. We prefer that people use teh torrents to be easy on the total bandwidth. I have contacted my hosting company and we have a little extra this month to account for it

BE PREPARED FOR THE BANDWIDTH JUMP! I appreciate the offers, and I definately can use them, but the files will be big and the GB will add up fast! If you only have DSL/Cable just leave teh torrent open as long as you can. If you have a site, make sure you watch your bandwidth closely! If it goes too high, DELETE THE FILE so that no one else can download it! Don't allow your site to get slashdotted and shut down because of me!

Here are the logistics so you can calculate if you still want to help mirror. There are 2 versions of the file. Both are exactly the same content just different quality settings. Both are 30 minutes long.

The 1st will be WMV format. Lower quality video and audio for dial-up users. It will be around 50 MB. It uses the Microsoft Windows Media codec. It was the best for small filesize and ease of use for windows users. It will play on linux with the proper codecs.

The 2nd will be DivX .AVI format. You will need the DivX 5.1 codecs to view it. IT WILL BE ALMOST 300 MB! This is the one we will need help serving up! Realize that 3 downloads will be almost 1 GB of bandwidth! So if you have 10 GB you will only be able to serve up around 30 downloads total! Beleive me, this will help us, but again, make sure you have enough bandwidth for YOURSELF for the rest of the month. This will play almost anywhere with the proper codecs.

The 3rd option will be to order a copy with the next <BR> magazine. I do not know when that is, but we will be making an ultra hi-res version and burning it to VCD or DVD to be viewable on your TV! We will not be charging anything extra for this except whatever it ends up costing us for the DVDs, thin cases, and the shipping charge bump. Most likely we will have a combo pack of <BR> 2.1 along with the DVD for 10 bucks. Don't worry, it is optional! We will also have the magazine by itself :).

That should clear up a few questions. Again, if you are still interested after hearing all of that, email me stankdawg@binrev.com with IP address/site name and directory. It would make it easier for me if you stick to a "http://www.yoursite.com/hacktv/hacktv01.avi" format and then I can fill in the blanks and change it easily. THAT WILL BE THE FILENAME, but it is not up yet so don't bother looking for it! ;)

For everyone else, just try and keep the torrent open afetr you have downloaded it for as long as possible. Also, you can reopen and redownload the torrent file again by selecting "continue" in bittorrent and it will try to continue downloading the file. Since it is already complete, this will simply RE-OPEN your download as a seed again.

Again, thanks to everyone for their offers. I will be contacting those of you who can still host it tomorrow evening to get the 411.

:paw:

I'll have to talk to the person thats sharing the cost of our colo, but we should be able to do a full out mirror of the wmv format file.

Yeah i'll do it and i hope to get slashdotted :P i think i can get some extra bandwidth out of my friends oc3.