Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

video problem

16 posts in this topic

ok i was wondering what would cause a on board monitor port to go out and how would you tell besides the monitor doesn't work. i recently found a computer and transfered it to a different case with a working power supply fan. so i goto see if i need to install an OS on it and the monitor won't even turn on. i can hear the hdd working. but one thing thats weird is the floppy light is on. don't know what that means but thats on. the cd drive works as far as opening it and closing it ( it also reads disks cuz i used knoppix on it when it was in the other case) so im confused as what happen. i also tried the other case because i used it before and now that monitor port doesn't work. any help much appreciated

well, i can answer the floppy thing, the cable is probably in backwards, otherwise, i can't answer the rest ^_^

what do you mean by in backwards? as in the cable is upside down or the cable that plugs into the mobo is in the floppy and vise versa?

indeed if the floppy light is on solid the ribbon cable is upside down. try unplugging the floppy drive and see if you get the BIOS to POST

it means the cable's red wire is not on the right side

and sounding like a t0tal n00b.....

<cowers> which side should it be on</cowers>

but really all i have dealt with in ide cables is the ones that are keyed and this drive doesn't have the keyed male plug it just has the prongs for me to plug into!

you'll probably have to take the drive out to see this, but on the pcboard right near the pins, there should be a little arrow on one side. this identifies pin 1. the ribbon cable has one red wire, this should plug into pin 1. on the motherboard pin 1 should also be identified with a small arrow near the pins.

This is the same way you had to figure out what way the ide cables went before they started putting those plastic guards around the pins.

many boards have a jumper that can turn the on-board video on and off, as it sometimes interferes with video cards. see if you can find the motherboard manual.

the red part of the cable should be facing youif it is correctlyinserted in the mobo. and if the light is still on, just flip it on one side

Edited by PhreakOut

pin 1 is always red. motherboards, peripherals, etc... Well, at least it is supposed to be...

many boards have a jumper that can turn the on-board video on and off, as it sometimes interferes with video cards. see if you can find the motherboard manual.

ok i have never used a video card in this box. the box i am using was my orginal box then i aquired the box that my ex is using and that has the hdd, floppy, and *-roms that were in the orignal box. so i have done nothing with jumpers on the mobo to this box. and i don't have a mobo manual its a compaq!

would the monitor problem be a driver problem?

drivers aren't loaded until the OS starts up, so that's not the issue

if you are turning it on and see nothing at all,

1) make sure there isn't an onboard video card, since that will be used first

2) unplug all drives(hd/floppy/cd/dvd)

try to boot, it should come up and say "compaq" or count the memory. If this fails, try taking out the RAM and reseat it(put it back in) Try again. if is still doesn't show anything...

3) try a different video card

4) try a different monitor

if that doesn't work, drag your computer on to the roof, heave it off onto the pavement (video tape if possible)

Edited by replax

This sounds a lot like a problem I had once, including the floppy LED. I thought it was a bad video card, but the problem apparently was bad IDE cables. I think. My uncle fixed it when I wasn't around, and I believe that's what he replaced.

Problems like this you want to get the machine running on a minimal setup (No drives, No PCI cards, No nothing thats not essential).

It could be the case shorting out the motherboard, I once have permanently damaged a processor by putting a rig inside a bad case - most of the time problems are not permanent.

So take it out of the case and sit the motherboard onto a table or cardboard box with the power supply. Put the memory, processor and video card into motherboard and see if it posts now.

If not then disconnect the power to the motherboard and clear the CMOS (Or take the CMOS batter out for 15min) This should reset the BIOS configurations to the default or auto state.

If you get it to post then add a Floppy or CD-Rom drive and run a test utility like Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/ - This will show up any errors on the Memory, Motherboard or CPU) if all is good then place the minimal rig inside the case and see if it posts, if it does run the test utility.

If it passes without errors add a bit of hardware on and run the test each time to check for errors.

Slow and time consuming but its the only way to know whats going on for certain.

Good luck :voteyes:

Edited by ricstr