Curious George

CT Hackers

97 posts in this topic

First Friday of every month at Barnes & Noble in Westport, CT @6:00. We will be in the cafe. The address and phone number are:

1076 Post Road East

Westport, CT 06880

203-221-7955

Let me know if you think you can make it.

Hope everyone is able to make it. As you might have read in earlier post's there were only 2 of us at the last meeting (and we came together). If nobody is able to show this time, I don't think I will go anymore. So I hope a few more people can make it. See everyone there. Later.

That's a shame. I hope somebody makes it. I'd come myself, but I'm about 6 1/2 hours south. :) I've hosted meetings at my home (more like a LUG than 2600) and have had to put everything on hold because many of the guys that came by were in the local college and they're off. Early on there were no takers, but eventually I got some interest. Stick with it and keep getting the word out. Good luck!

PF

I really hope I'm able to go, but I am several hours away and don't currently have a car.

Well we had a better meeting this month. We had 2 more people show up then last time. So by the very very end (last second, actually the meeting was over) we had 4 people there. For most of the meeting there were 3 of this. Mostly just a feeling out meeting, we all got to know each other & everyone started to open up a little more by the end of the meeting. I hope we can keep adding people each month. Well I hope to see everyone next month or at HOPE. Later.

So I still don't want to see this thread die. Just in case new members of the forums live in CT. We didn't have a meeting this month because most of us are going to HOPE and just plan on seeing each other there. I will be going again next month so I hope (no pun intended) to see everyone then. I have contacted 2600 and asked them to add us to there list. I have also started puting flyers in the 2600 mags at all the book stores. Every time I go into Barnes and Noble the stack of 2600 mags is smaller so someone must be buying them. Well I will see everyone at HOPE and if not, then at the next meeting.

PS I would rather go back to a 6:00 meeting. I just think that's a better time for everyone.

edit: removed useless info

Edited by deiol

There is a meeting in Boston. Check out the list of meetings here and then scan down to Massachusetts. They have one listed in Boston:

Prudential Center Plaza, terrace food court at the tables near the windows.

They also have a web page here.

Edited by Curious George

Ok all of you CT hackers. I am sorry that the last 2 meetings didn't happen. In July I went to HOPE & this month I was buying a new home. I WILL BE THERE NEXT MONTH. I had talked to a few other hackers from CT who wanted to move the meeting back to Merridan. The problem that I had was they wanted to change it to a Blacklisted 411 meeting. That mag isn't very good & I still feel that the 2600 name will draw more people in. For those of you who still need the info. We meet at 6:00 on the first Friday of every month. We are holding our meetings at:

1076 Post Road East

Westport, CT 06880

203-221-7955

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Hey, I live in wasington CT. Getting a ride before October 5th might not be doable, but I will be able to go to the meetings after that. So I will only miss one meeting.

What is the meeting spot?

Why bother with a 2600 Meeting?

The Central Connecticut Users Group (CCUG) Meeting will be held on

February 20th from 7 to 9 PM at:

Gothic PC

421 N Main Street

Bristol, CT 06010-4924

Phone: (860) 589-5185

http://www.gothicpc.com

Our members' range from novice to expert and from amateur to

professional. CCUG welcomes all those interested in computing, be

they novices, intermediate or experienced users.

At most meetings, in addition to an interesting program, you'll get

a chance to ask questions and get help from other members who might

have had the same problem.

Interested?

Meetings are open to the public. Prospective new members

are encouraged to attend.

Why bother with a 2600 meeting? Well, let's see, do people in the users group talk about hacking, phreaking, social engineering, trashing, etc?

Why bother with a 2600 meeting? Well, let's see, do people in the users group talk about hacking, phreaking, social engineering, trashing, etc?

I know Ticom personally and I can say confidently "Yes".

I think I may just have to come check out your meeting Tom. It's been almost 2 years since I was trying to get this meeting set up. But I'm glad that someone was reading the old posts. Hope to see ya at the meeting. Later.

I haven't heard of anyone saying something interesting at a 2600 meeting since the early 1990s when it was found out that the NYSP BCI (that's New York State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation) was surveilling the NYC meeting. I also know for a fact that the DC and Philly meetings also received similar treatment. I even think we might have had an undercover-type at the Meriden meeting once. His face kinda blanched when I started using cop terms at him. LOL.

Talking about illegal activities in front of complete strangers whom you are not sure how trustworthy they are is a sure fire way to get busted. Just ask that kid in Southbury who decided that his laser printer was handy for making his own $100 bills.

You would be surprised who shows up at user group meetings... Especially in this state. Get to know some of the crusty old timers, get them to trust that you won't act stupid, and you never know what you might learn. There are some really old school hackers and phreaks whom go back to the early 1980s (and still do it), and won't go near a 2600 meeting. They will show up at user group meetings though. HINT: Don't use a handle, and don't go asking blatent questions until they get to know you.

Finally, 2600 is the ship's bilge of hack rags. Blacklisted 411 puts out a far better publication in my opinion and GBPPR zine is even better and free http://www.gbppr.org/. If you want to spend money, you're far better off subscribing to Circuit Cellar Ink and Dr. Dobbs Journal if you want to actualy learn something.

Tom, have you actually read the new Blacklisted? It's a shell of its former self. Plus I don't trust Zachary Blackstone. I mean, in the latest Bl411 issue (the 2nd one since they restarted the mag) he claims that Bl411 is now the most widely distributed hacker mag. That's a pretty strong claim for a magazine that's only 2 issues strong.

I mean, in the latest Bl411 issue (the 2nd one since they restarted the mag) he claims that Bl411 is now the most widely distributed hacker mag.  That's a pretty strong claim for a magazine that's only 2 issues strong.

It doesn't matter how many issues deep a magazine is, all it takes is inking the write distribution deal. So your logic is wrong, but, is it true? who knows, easy to find out with a couple phone calls.

Edited by nazareth

Well, let's see.. In their own magazine they admit that they're not carried by any large store chains nor do they publish their suscriber statistics. I hardly think that they recieved 70,000+ suscriptions after 1 issue.

Tom, have you actually read the new Blacklisted? It's a shell of its former self. Plus I don't trust Zachary Blackstone. I mean, in the latest Bl411 issue (the 2nd one since they restarted the mag) he claims that Bl411 is now the most widely distributed hacker mag. That's a pretty strong claim for a magazine that's only 2 issues strong.

I've seen the new Blacklisteds. I've also been reading 2600 since it first came out in 1984. I've written for 2600 since 1987; incidentally the same year they started having meetings at Citicorp Center. You want to see decline? Check out some copies of 2600 from its beginning to about the early 1990s. If you really want to see decline, compare some of the isssue of both current hacker rags to the old TAP magazine. I'm talking about the TAP that Ozzie (Cheshire Catalyst) used to edit.

And if you want to talk about magazine editors, I could go on for hours about Eric Corley, and why the quality people who used to help him out with articles and research don't assist him any more.

As far as distribution goes, Blacklisted does see less distribution on the East Coast than does 2600. I can assure you, however, from being involved in the publishing of a print 'zine, that it has to compare favorably to 2600; otherwise the distributor that handles Borders (where Blacklisted is sold) would not do business with them. The same applies to their bulk mailing permit.

When I go to college I'm gonna start a 2600 meeting up in Toledo OH, This fall if anyone lives around the Toledo area.

Why bother with a 2600 Meeting?

The Central Connecticut Users Group (CCUG) Meeting will be held on

February 20th from 7 to 9 PM at:

Gothic PC

421 N Main Street

Bristol, CT 06010-4924

Phone: (860) 589-5185

http://www.gothicpc.com

That is awesome!! I am originally from Plainville and I plan to hit up a meeting or two in the 2-3 weeks I'm back in town from college

Edited by Stang_Man

How far is bristol from stamford? It would be nice to go to something instate during the summer.

lostbaka/nemeh

For those of you who didn't show up last night, we had a damn good first meeting. About 25-30 people attended ranging from novices to advanced hobbyists in age from 15 to 50. Topics of discussion were varied, but included getting LINUX on laptops, VoIP and TiVO security, 802.11 networking, surplus electronics sources, and although not related to computing there were also some people talking about surplus military vehicles (I suppose that Pinzgauers may become the new hackmobile of choice among New England hackers.) One lucky person won a laptop computer at the meeting raffle, donated to the group by the owner of Gothic PC. Proceeds from the raffle go towards snacks and refreshments at the meeting. The new laptop owner's question about what OS to install prompted a spirited at times debate over Linux vs. BSD. He was provided with CDs of both, as well as phone numbers of group members who would be able to assist him once he made his decision on what to install. The Red Bull and Mountain Dew flowed freely, and from the comments I received, I don't think a single person didn't have a good time.

At this point it looks like the meetings will be every 3rd Sunday evening, so mark your calenders.

CCUG is talking with the owner of Gothic PC about opening up the shop again one Sunday evening for a meeting. In the meantime, I'm still interested in a local scene get-together. Friday nights are out of the question as I work second-shift, so I'm thinking either Saturday (preferably) or Sunday late afternoon/evening.

My personal preference is towards a chain called Panera Bread http://www.panerabread.com/. Food's good, prices are decent, they have free WiFi access, and don't mind if you hang out with a coffee or soda and surf for a bit. I'd be willing to drive 45 minutes to an hour from my location near Bristol. Panera Bread has locations throughout CT, including Meriden, North Haven, Enfield, Bristol, Newington, Canton, Manchester, and Waterford. Something in the middle of the state is probably the best bet.

Suggestions? Comments?

I'm moving to Florida on the 31st, but if something can go down next weekend I am ninety-nine percent sure I can make it. It's my last weekend, something may come up. My affairs should all be in order by then though. Being in North New Milford/Gaylordsville, I would prefer Bristol, Canton or Meriden off the top of my head. I haven't lived here that long, but I think they are closest to me. Everything I have will be on a truck en route to FL, including my laptop and notes, but I'd go anyway just to hang out, learn something and shoot the proverbial shit...I'll be the guy taking notes on paper. :)

EDIT: I still have a few a few Ubuntu CD's...Not everyone would want them, but I won't pack those. I am sure someone will take one or two.

EDIT: For what its worth I just found out I will be busy next Saturday, and would only make a Sunday meeting.

Edited by Evolve