Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elimist

Linux Distro Features

9 posts in this topic

For one of my projects thats sort of on the back burner, sort of in early planning (not sure if I'll ever do much with it) I wanted some poeples opinions. This goes out to everyone who uses any operating system (*nix especially)

What do you look for in a operating system? What features, abilities, etc do you like? What features don't you see in what you use now that you'd like to see? Just share any input on what specific features of operating systems you like, and any thing you'd want to change or add Things you find useful, easy, enjoy, etc...and anything else you want.

Things I'd like to see in a Distro:

* Install *

Mutliple Kernels, with an easy selection

Vanilla - A shell, binutils, a package manager, basic user management tools

Vanilla & Strawberries - Vanilla, as well as configuration "wizards"

Vanilla Fruit Salad - Same as above, but with simple setup that compiles everything before you use it [like gentoo, but easier]

Chocolate - A fully functional windows replacement, games, office stuff, ect.

Chocolate & Strawberries - A hardware detection setup simmilar to knoppix, followed by booting into a fully graphical install shell, basically redhat that works.

Chocolate Fruit Salad - Everything above, with pre-compiling simmilar to gentoo, that is easy, and gui-based.

Multiple kernels is a nice idea, also having actual accelerated video drivers included would be nice(distros very rarely do this. Licencing problem)

I'd like to see more distros including the X from freedesktop.org. Gnoppix does it, but that's all I've seen thus far.

I'd like to see some really good setup programs. Someone replace the CUPS network printer config with something new. A good firewall setup(just saw dual&blands slack security doc). Basically there should be config apps for everything. Yeah alot of Linux users don't like that, but if someones just going to package up debian testing and say it's their distro, I'd like to see some work that might actually save me some time ;)

A content system like portage, but supports precompiled binaries for all those larger programs (those where the compile flags make little difference, but the binary changes it from a 24 hour compile to a 1 minute install).

Agreed with the support for multiple kernels. However, how about a gob stoppers kernel? Like a gentoo hardened kernel, one with built in SELinux, stack protection, things like that.

a hardened version of gcc readily available.

TTY read/writeability like FreeBSD, so programs like watch work without huge system modification

Things I'd like to see in a Distro:

* Install *

Mutliple Kernels, with an easy selection

Vanilla - A shell, binutils, a package manager, basic user management tools

Vanilla & Strawberries - Vanilla, as well as configuration "wizards"

Vanilla Fruit Salad - Same as above, but with simple setup that compiles everything before you use it [like gentoo, but easier]

Chocolate - A fully functional windows replacement, games, office stuff, ect.

Chocolate & Strawberries - A hardware detection setup simmilar to knoppix, followed by booting into a fully graphical install shell, basically redhat that works.

Chocolate Fruit Salad - Everything above, with pre-compiling simmilar to gentoo, that is easy, and gui-based.

Take a look here.

Its a list of the main disksets (to use the slackware term), each of which has sub disksets. What it basically says is that (although this can be overriden in an advanced install) you choose sections (seperated by =-=-=) to install....you need all the sections for that for it, too.

Basically devides all major software categories into logical sections users are likely to choose between.

Let me know what you think

A "Linux" distro with a BSD kernel would be l33t ;)

A "Linux" distro with a BSD kernel would be l33t ;)

Speaking of that, Slackware's basically the mirror image of that....

Slackware's BSD with a Linux Kernel =D

for me the accelerated video drivers is what I would like to see.. but i understand the problems with that.

I would be happy if ATI would just get their shit together in the linux department

for me the accelerated video drivers is what I would like to see.. but i understand the problems with that.

I would be happy if ATI would just get their shit together in the linux department

Actually, ATI is getting some decent drivers out now for the latest cards...

Also, DRI drivers aren't bad, and I plan to include them.