Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XxthugstylezxX

school project need some input

10 posts in this topic

So i have to do a persuasion(spelling) speach on why most if not all hackers are good rather then being seen by the public as bad. I have to have a poster or handouts or a powerpoint or something visual with graph's to show stitistics. Any ideals? ill have to add another thread probly to have a poll on a type of subject on this to get some stistics from you guys hehe im going to have statstics from only hackers thats great nah but if you knwo any site that has some stitistics on something related plz lemme know. Thanks and its appriciated! :D

stats might be pretty hard to come by. you could just do a poll here and use it as a statistic ;)

my suggestion would be to simply correct the popular definition of hacker (evil person who steals credit card numbers) to the REAL definition of hacker (one who observes a system, and finds new capabilities in existing systems not previously thought of) and proceed to bring out the well known awesome 31337 hackers of history. no, i dont mean people like Kevin Mitnick and Linus Torvalds, i mean like Nikola Tesla and Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss. Explain that computer hacking is just another branch of the sciences (though some would consider it more art than science). You should definately talk about some of the wierd ass shit Tesla did that really pissed off the world at large, such as using the Earth itself as an electromagnetic resonator to charge the area around his Colorado Springs lab with enough electricity to make it a source of electricity, subsequently setting the local power plant on fire, or in New York, when he made a device that when activated automatically found the (mechanical) resonant frequency of any surface (be it a table, a block of lead, or his apartment building) and caused a localized earthquake that nearly brought the building down. It should be easy then to make the analogy that sometimes the unwashed masses have to put up with us hackers if they want the fruits of our minds (say, the modern AC power distribution system, another one of Tesla's Inventions).

The hackers is not bad argument is basically an argument of logistics. Your best material will probably come from a dictionary.

A correction and an addition to mas' post: Nikola Tesla's invention did not almost bring the building down OR find the natural resonant frequencies of everything around him. It was far worse: it emitted reinforcing resonant frequencies that caused a virtual earthquake in new york that were weakest at his building and grew stronger the farther one got from the source, nearly bringing down his NEIGHBORS buildings.

Additonally he invented the AC generator IN HIS MIND while in a COMA induced by a hyper-sensitivity to all physical stimulus...

Sorry. Tesla has been, like, my all time favoritest hero since the 9th grade, possibly only matched by Bertrand Russel.

it emitted reinforcing resonant frequencies that caused a virtual earthquake in new york that were weakest at his building and grew stronger the farther one got from the source

:huh: what was the inflection point then for the energy released by the earthquake? it couldn't have gotten more powerful when you moved away from the source without limit, cause the earth's crust woulda cracked apart by the time it got to the opposite side, and we're still here....do you remember where you found this?

i did this in my best representation of anything that i think i've ever done, but it was a persuasive essay, and the teacher wrote back "i'm not sure if any of these so called "whitehats" even exist." There's almost no convincing someone of something other than what's been written into their brain with a scalpal by the media. But yes, use the dictionary definition, it should help. Better yet, during the speech, say this "Mis (teacher's name), could you open the dictionary and read the definition of the word Hacker, in it's most relevant form applied to this speech" It brings the audience in, and could give it that extra umph.

So i have to do a persuasion(spelling) speach on why most if not all hackers are good rather then being seen by the public as bad. I have to have a poster or handouts or a powerpoint or something visual with graph's to show stitistics. Any ideals? ill have to add another thread probly to have a poll on a type of subject on this to get some stistics from you guys hehe im going to have statstics from only hackers thats great nah but if you knwo any site that has some stitistics on something related plz lemme know. Thanks and its appriciated! :D

I will send you the opening I wrote for <BR> 2.1 which about that very topic. You can use it as reference for your article. check your PM.

The introduction in Hacking- The Art of Exploitation (you can find this book on undernet #bookz) has a really good explaination of the origins of the word "hacker". Apparently, the word was first coined by the MIT model railroad club back in the fifties when they used old telephone equipment to operate their model trains.

dude im gonna give a speech about the same thing :o atleast thats the plan..it may change though

as an attention getter i was gonna use the mp3 of stank reading the hacker manifesto

Edited by Ws_Ninja[CSR]

it emitted reinforcing resonant frequencies that caused a virtual earthquake in new york that were weakest at his building and grew stronger the farther one got from the source

:huh: what was the inflection point then for the energy released by the earthquake? it couldn't have gotten more powerful when you moved away from the source without limit, cause the earth's crust woulda cracked apart by the time it got to the opposite side, and we're still here....do you remember where you found this?

It did have a limit, the waves did not travel forever, it simply pulsed the waves at escalating reinforcing frequencies, and it had a radius of only a few blocks.