Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Melekin

err uuh... help!

16 posts in this topic

What do you put on a Celeron 500 w/64m of RAM so it runs moderately well, and can do things like check email & surf the web? Must be graphical.

I'd really really really like to put BeOS on it, but it won't #@$#@!$ boot the CD!

64MB of ram, and you want graphical stuff? might want to up the ram

and yeah, I don't know how to burn those BeOS cds to be bootable either

I was running a slackware linux system with that much a while back. Just set up a swap of 128-256 MB....and use a smaller WM, like *box

knoppix

Knoppix makes a 45MB ramdisk, and it's GUI requires at least 64MB of RAM. See a problem here?

Debian - Stock 2.4.18-bf kernel, w/fluxbox

I was running a slackware linux system with that much a while back. Just set up a swap of 128-256 MB....and use a smaller WM, like *box

ya the more swap the better, im runnin Slackware an old pII with 59M of ram with 300Mb swap, it runs pretty smooth with fluxbox

To reiterate what everyone else is saying, Slack and Flux works great on my older machines. I'm running it reasonably well on a P166 with 64 Mb RAM, though I wouldn't want to make it my main machine.

I'll tell you what though, if there's any way to sink some more RAM into it, you can run just about anything. I've got a Celeron 633 with 396 Mb RAM and I'm running RedHat 9 with all packages and bloated GUI and all, and it rocks... (a former Win ME machine)

Standard Knoppix really needs 128 Mb RAM (or more) to be decent. Some of the lighter distros like the recent STD will run OK on 64 MB, if you've got the time and patience. :)

PF

Knoppix really lags on older machines and sometimes it freezes so I won’t recommend it on something w/ less than 256mb RAM

FreeBSD

Believe it or not, FreeBSD does not support the southbridge - on a kernel level.

Ugly....

I'm happy with my linux distro ...

what you're looking for is Damn Small Linux. 50mb of HDD space for a full-install, Fluxbox only, and all the essential tools. It's based on knoppix, so its like a 3rd generation inbred debian. I say that to tell you that sometimes if you apt-get stuff, it will crap out.

Slackware of FreeBSD should work for ya, if you can't boot the CD, check your bios settings and make sure that they are set to boot the CD before the harddrive if you have that capability, if not, you can allways make a boot floppy and access the CD-ROM from there.

Celeron 500 w/64m of RAM

That's what I had with my first computer back in the summer of '00. These words bring back memories... Anyway, I'd go for NetBSD personally because *BSD in general is what I'm aiming for right now and, besides, if you've never "been *BSD" ^_^ then it's a great learning experience. My 2 cents...