Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cessna

Running Linux on an XBOX

21 posts in this topic

-_- Hey guys Im a bit of a nubie on the Linux operating system. I took a class at my college. Most of it was command line interface and we were using redhat 7 at that time. This was last semester. Hey i know it is old but hey it came with our text.

So guys has anyone attempted to put linux on the Xbox? I snagged one AS IS X box from the hated Walmart for 90 bucks. I know you say as is oh no, but i got an employee to hook it up to one of their xbox demo kiosks and it boots fine and playes games fine. Now i've seen various boards about running linux via loading some kind of Mech game save file. Now since this is an AS is unit i'm not worried about voiding the warranty because there is no warranty anymore. I've also heard that someone has it in the works of installing SUSE 8 on it. So if anyone can give me some help i'd appreciate it. I'd like to get get this completed before may 12. I want to take this Xbox to my A+ Hardware class at my college and look at the student's faces as well as the Teacher's face when I boot linux off this thing. :D

I wonder, how good would an Xbox do with Distributed.net... ^_^

Maybe someone (me?) should make a XBox compatible "game" disk that runs distributed.net ^_^

Maybe even Playstation and Gamecube, too... :wacko::blink::lol:

ive done some reseach into this, and its not that hard really. the mech game file your talking about is a buffer overflow or some exploit that allows you to load code, but there is a much simpler way: the mod chip. go to xbox-scene.com and you will be set. your going to need to purchase a mod chip, which is about 50 dollars. All the boards do the same thing, just some have different ammenities. if you have never soldered wires and dont know someone who could for you, you want to go with pogo pins, since they just plop on the board. if you have some solder skill, then the solder-only mod chips are easy. all come with cromwell bios, to prevent lawsuites, since some of the other BIOSes use xbox source code from the XDK (xbox dev kit), so those need some searching. hint: IRC. after that everything is fairly straight forward. just follow links off of xbox-scene.com. I havent done my mod yet, since i still need to get an xbox and im waiting for the 4th gen mod chips to be released, specifically xecuter.

auto is trying to put linux on an xbox, but the dvd drive on it is fuxored. i'm sure he'd be eternally grateful for anyone who successfully does it, makes an image of their hard drive and shares it with him.

some dvd drives just dont enjoy. go to xbox-scene and in the tutorials i think they talk about what brands work and dont.

http://www.xbox-tribe.com/

this site has alot of hard to find xbox downloads

I don't think all of it is exactly legal so visit at your own risk

I used the 007 exploit to load the bert and ernie font exploit and the pheonix bios loader wich loads a bios into memorey but I havent even tried linux on it didn't realy apeal to me.

I would say if anyone has an xbox modding it orsoftmodding it should be done . There is alot of great software for the xbox from the media players to tuneling service for playing online without haveing to pay.

edit: also my xbox doesnt read cdrs or cdrws so it may not be the drive thats screwed cause mine reads dvd+r/rw perfectley fine so maybetrying putting it on dvd

Edited by regicide666

this might get me hit on the head, but i was wondering if anyone has succesfully gotten windows onto the xbox. Just wondering because they are both from the same company and was wondering if they let you get by with that... :huh:

there is a project to get windows ce on the xbox and fromwhat I;ve read it seams possible with alot of work

i remember hearing that there is a book called something like x box hacks, or mods, something like that, anyone know what im babbling about from what i hear its really good, fouind this again in fall 2003 of 2600 theres an xbox mod article, its a little vague but might help, it says to check out www.xbox-scene.com, www.gamebuy.com, and www.exemulation.com

Edited by raven

umm regi, xbox uses windows already so what are they doing???

ERROR!

maybe getting it to a usable version with like a desktop and stuff... :unsure:

that is exactly what they are doing. Makeing it a useable windows box with a desktop and able top run ce software and they are also doing it to learn. Its just a fun interesting project for some people that just want to do it. anything wrong with that?

So since the xbox already runs a modified version of Windows 2000 how hard can it really be to run a full-fledged version of Win2k??

man, i really hope that a new generation of console comes out soon.... than i'll be able to get 700mhz PCs for like $50! damn, that would be the best cluster EVER!

is there any possibilities to run a slow scan program on the DC(any system, but i only own a dc) since they have dialup conncetions?

sorry if this is a dumb question...

man, i really hope that a new generation of console comes out soon.... than i'll be able to get 700mhz PCs for like $50! damn, that would be the best cluster EVER!

best cluster?

virginia tech made the supercomputer3rd fastest supercomputer using a cluster of 1100 dual processor g5 macs

there was another cluster made, the url escapes me right now. but they built it using all donated hardware, so it has the highest flops per dollar rate of any of the supercomputers.

a cluster of xboxes would be somewhere inbetween

is there any possibilities to run a slow scan program on the DC(any system, but i only own a dc) since they have dialup conncetions?

sorry if this is a dumb question...

You can put linux on the dreamcast, and do it from there.

http://linuxdc.sourceforge.net/