jedibebop

Favorite Window Manager

54 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

After trying several I like flux.

/me downloads PanthFlux to give it a try.

PF

After trying several I like flux.

/me downloads PanthFlux to give it a try.

PF

as is stated in the description it doesn't run on the stable version of flux, only development...

like...?

like tabs...i dont use tabs, but i DO like the rest of the features.

That's why I switched to openbox, all the features of fluxbox, plus a few more good ones, but no tabs to be found, and they don't have tabs on purpose

And Elimist, there are tabs, just now they are disabled by default

Edited by jedibebop

To be honest, the reason I've not had much inclination to change from Gnome, is because when i'm using linux, I rarely use the GUI... I can do almost anything I want to achieve with my linux box, inside the CLI. [this will all change sometime around Q2 2005, when I attempt to go 100% legitimate]

indeed, with links, naim or centericq, irssi, and mutt, you can do just about anything, but I happen to like a little gui, which is why I use something minimal like openbox

indeed, with links, naim or centericq, irssi, and mutt, you can do just about anything, but I happen to like a little gui, which is why I use something minimal like openbox

heh, I think you got the wrong idea...

I only use my linux machines for heavy crunching server-type stuff... I use links when I just HAVE to have a web-browser, but no instant messaging on those beasts....

oh, I use linux all the time...for everything. there is no reason for windows ( at least for me)

I can't believe XFCE was left out...! Fluxbox is my 2nd favorite after XFCE which I use 24/7. :D

That would probably be because I only ran Knoppix STD and Phlak on this box for over a day.

Edited by T-E-A

There is still tabbing in the latest devel versions of fluxbox. The tab is inside the topbar of the program. If you want to tab two programs together, just grab one of them with middle click, and drag it over to the second program. the topbar will then split in half, and you can choose between them as you wish. Tabbing rules, especially for programs that run many simultaneous windows (like if you were downloading 4 different torrent files, you could shove them all into 1 tabbed window). Also, unlike older tabing, when you minimize a program that is tabbed to other programs, they all minimize, not just that one.

This "bloat" probably accounts for an extra 1 meg of harddrive space, and takes up no extra memory or Proccessing. Fluxbox owns you all

I use the king of all bloat... Enlightenment.

BTW, if it takes up 1MB more of HD space it's got to be doing something extra. It's probably negligible but it's still taking up memory/CPU cycles.

Maybe I'll actually give Flux a whirl.

EDIT: Just did apt-get for Flux and I'm already back to Enlightenment. Oh well.

I prefer a lite-weight manager blackbox all the way

thinking of trying openbox but haven't had time

I use the king of all bloat... Enlightenment.

BTW, if it takes up 1MB more of HD space it's got to be doing something extra. It's probably negligible but it's still taking up memory/CPU cycles.

Maybe I'll actually give Flux a whirl.

EDIT: Just did apt-get for Flux and I'm already back to Enlightenment. Oh well.

you know man, i tried enlightenment for about 4 seconds with my current setup. It was the only GUI environment available with EvilEntity, and since i was even more of a n00b then than i am now, i didnt like it, and changed distro. There were some things i really liked about it. (i have the luxury of a butt-kicking box) It is possible to make enlightenment look really REALLY good if you are willing to give it up in the system resource department, and i am. The main problem i had with enlightenment was that it was an act of congress to edit your menu. I would give E another try if i could get all the programs i want in the menu.

I wish I could help you out but, and I'm sure this will make everyone laugh, I don't use the menus. The only thing I launch from them is Eterm and xterm. I know I should use them but I just never bothered. I guess I only really use a few GUI apps (FireBird/Fox, Evolution, XMMS) so it's not that important. If I do come across a way to edit them I'll definitely PM you.

On a similar note I'd use Flux if it had a few things (and for all I know it may already have them!)...

1) The ability to move between desktops just by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. I can do it while dragging windows but otherwise it doesn't work.

2) A theme with smaller buttons for maximize and minimize. It seems like most of the buttons are ENORMOUS.

3) The ability to drag windows to the edge of the screen precisely like Enlightenment does. When you get to the screen border the window sticks there with a small amount of resistance so you don't have to waste time positioning windows.

4) A multiple desktop preview window.

I've been told that Flux has this cool tabbed window stuff (which I would use a lot on xterms if it's anything like Mozilla tabbing) but without all the above stuff it's no good to me. Anyone know how to turn all that junk on or otherwise add it?

On a similar note I'd use Flux if it had a few things (and for all I know it may already have them!)...

1) The ability to move between desktops just by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. I can do it while dragging windows but otherwise it doesn't work.

2) A theme with smaller buttons for maximize and minimize. It seems like most of the buttons are ENORMOUS.

3) The ability to drag windows to the edge of the screen precisely like Enlightenment does. When you get to the screen border the window sticks there with a small amount of resistance so you don't have to waste time positioning windows.

4) A multiple desktop preview window.

I've been told that Flux has this cool tabbed window stuff (which I would use a lot on xterms if it's anything like Mozilla tabbing) but without all the above stuff it's no good to me. Anyone know how to turn all that junk on or otherwise add it?

number 1 may be possible? I'm not really sure

number 2 is definatly possible, usually the really big titlebar/buttons is the anti alising, which I don't think really helps but make shit huge, I've had buttons so small they are hard to click on, heh.

number 3, I think it's done, I know xmms does that, might be program specific, dunno

number4, fluxbox and blackbox are very similar, there is a program called pppager that does the little window preview thing.

:devil: Sawfish all the way baby, i just make a script to load only what i need and set my backdrop, and its fast its sleek and nothing gets in my way!

I run flwm, its fast and light and it looks and runs great! You got to love the sideways titlebars too. Its pretty minimalistic, but it gets the job done and i'm happy with it.

-gzaector