jedibebop

Favorite Window Manager

54 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

I just recently switched from fluxbox to openbox (they are both boxes but openbox shares no code with fluxbox). Anyway, I really like openbox, everyone said if you don't use the tabs then openbox is pretty much better than fluxbox, so I Iistened to them...What's YOUR favorite wm?

EDIT: spelling :\

Edited by jedibebop

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm really digging Gnome lately. Got it looking nice, yet still a decently clean look. Check out my other topic for screens.

i dunno, i've really only tried KDE, Gnome, and IceWM. Out of those I liked gnome the best.

I tried:

KDE

Gnome

Window Maker

Afterstep

Aewm

Ratpoison

Blackbox

Ion

Enlightenment

Openbox

Kahakai

XFce

Waimea

IceWM

and every one of them had something that annoyed me or a missing feature so I went back to fluxbox. it's clean, simple and bloatless. I really liked Waimea too, but unfortunately developpement stopped.

I just recently switched from fluxbox to openbox (they are both boxes but openbox shares no code with fluxbox). Anyway, I really like openbox, everyone said if you don't use the tabs then openbox is pretty much better than fluxbox, so I Iistened to them...What's YOUR favorite wm?

EDIT: spelling :\

yeah, i've really been meeting to try blackbox. you can also run the gnome panel in blackbox, which a lot of people like.

well im gonna have to say kde cuz thats the only one other than flux which pissed me off cuz i couldnt get the background to stay

btu im gonna look in to the others

I0 out

Actually I'm rather fond of Gnome with Metacity.

I like how Metacity runs, and the configuration options for it. Gnome is also very pretty, so I like it. However I'm not really so happy about how it performs. I first encountered gnome with FreeBSD, and it ran like a top the very first time I installed it. [although no one else seemed to even be able to get it working in FreeBSD] Those were the days, Gnome and EnlightenmentWM... With Enlightenment crashing every 2 and a half minutes, and gnome trying to figure out what to do with itself... MAN I hated the *nix world.

Anyway, enough of that.

Clean Debian Install + Gnome2 w/Metacity = A Mac-looking PC that doesn't crash, and runs very snappy.

Actually, I like XPde too - too bad they havn't done shit to it recently.

http://www.xpde.com/

Clean Debian Install + Gnome2 w/Metacity = A Mac-looking PC that doesn't crash, and runs very snappy.

Clean Slackware install + FluxBox w/ PanthFlux Theme = a VERY Mac-looking that doesn't crash, and runs very snappy. :lol:

Light AND beutiful. Who whould have thought?

I have to say KDE, Ive used Fluxbox but it just adds way to much thinking to get the same thing done in KDE. Im sure if I stick with it I would love it but I'm lazy...So *yawn* its noon so time to bed :P .

ERROR!

blackbox owns fluxbox. Simplicity with style and good code (blackbox) will always own simplicity with overly-bloated code (fluxbox)...

Clean Slackware install + FluxBox w/ PanthFlux Theme = a VERY Mac-looking that doesn't crash, and runs very snappy. :lol:

Light AND beutiful. Who whould have thought?

yea, that panthflux theme was made by a very cool guy, not only is he a stud, he's so cool.

<pimp>

http://freshmeat.net/projects/panthflux

</pimp>

blackbox owns fluxbox. Simplicity with style and good code (blackbox) will always own simplicity with overly-bloated code (fluxbox)...

This coming from a guy who was claiming there are 100s of 0-days each year for the Linux kernel.....i'm curious to know...

Why is it bloated?

it has too many features that aren't needed...

like...?

like tabs...i dont use tabs, but i DO like the rest of the features.

Apparently others share your view, as theres no tabs in the latest version

yeah it sucks I want my tabs back. sure, there is still window grouping but it's not as efficient.

Apparently others share your view, as theres no tabs in the latest version

wha!? in 0.9.8?! seriously dude?!? holy shit...lol, didn't see that :lol:

TWM OWNZ ALL!!!! :lol::lol:

j/k....blackbox...there is no other in existence for me. :ninja: