Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
813_Error

2 Questions: DVD compression and whats the pic?

10 posts in this topic

First question is when I backup my dvds to my hdd what should I compress them to. I am using DVDShrink and compress up to 45% (makes everything stillframe). Right now uncompressed each movie is around 6-7Gb, If I could get that to around 3-4 with little quality loss I would be really happy :P . So any help will be much appreciated.

Also what is this? http://www.acrosser.com/products/ar-b1640.htm I read what it said on there a few times and still dont know what it does or is used for.

ERROR!

The thing in the picture is an SBC (Single Board Computer) that fits in a PCI slot.

As far as re-compressing DVDs (keep in mind they are already compressed with MPEG-2 compression) I'd suggest DivX/XviD. You'll easily be able to get your movies down to 2 GB. Most of the time they'll be around 1 GB for decent quality. If you look closely though you will be able to tell the difference.

heh, since this borders on piracy, and piracy is my forte, I believe I can be of help!

It depends on what you're looking for. For ease of use, I reccomend XviD with MP3 VBR, using Vidomi. [google it]

If you want the leet sheet, I would either make them .OGM [Xvid+OGG] which supports multiple streams, awesome video and sound compression, and just all around l33tness.

If you want to focus on multiple audio channels, go for Matrovska, .MKV - pretty damned good too.

I reccomend very very highly against DiVX. It's old hat. It changes about once a month, they're making it less and less free with every release. They're started to do the Real networks thing, and make the free stuff harder to find on the page. http://www.divx.com/divx/?src=toptab_divx_from_/index.php They're also not open source, XViD, and OGG are. Also, technologically speaking... XViD just has better compression, DiVX loses keyframes A LOT more often. [this is when you're watching a movie, and suddenly you notice the video stops, but the audio keeps going. Also, it gets corrupted a lot easier, so you're in the middle of the movie and your player crashes. My personal favorite is when you get through a fast-action scene, and you notice that the audio track is about 20 seconds ahead of the video track. BAAAHH!!

BTW, if your compression program only gets your DVDs down to 7-8 gigs, then it's probably lossless compression, ... you don't want to compress video or audio with loss-less compression because it doesn't do anything really. Oh ya, I forgot to add that it adds a HUGE amount of decoding over-head, so you end up having crappy choppy video if you're not careful.

Edited by Melekin

heh, since this borders on piracy, and piracy is my forte, I believe I can be of help!

bordering on, but not about piracy...this can be used for your OWN video and perfectly legal uses...this thread is fine but lets steer it away from "piracy". ;)

Well since I took these out of MY dvd collection and put them into MY computer so that I can watch them without messing up the DVD everytime I want to watch something I dont think thats piracy. I wouldnt ask how to rip something from blockbuster or anything :D I know better.

Thanks ntheory, now I gotta google that -_- , They look interesting...

Stank, if this jumps to piracy its not my fualt ;) but overuse of smilies is definetly my fualt.

ERROR!

Stank, if this jumps to piracy its not my fualt ;) but overuse of smilies is definetly my fualt.

I know...just keeping it on track...a "pre emptive strike" so to speak.

One way to do what you want is to ditch the audio tracks you're not going to use. Not sure about the app you're using, but the one I use in OS X gives me the option of selecting what audio tracks I want to compress.

Since I'm only interested in the Dolby 5.1 track, I usually ditch the Directors commentary tracks, the Dolby 2.0 tracks, and the foreign language tracks (unless of course, it's a foreign film). By not using the unwanted audio tracks, you free up lots of space and get ALOT better picture quality while being able to fit on a standard DVD-R.

Your mileage may vary......

Ya when I was putting my matrix movies on here I found out that it selected foriegn first so it was all in French, so I unselected all that and saved around 400mb I think. Also the intro stuff, those are pretty big 100-800mb. After getting rid of all those it took about a gb off all my movies.

The other thing you might play with is your compression ratio. I use DVD2ONE. They have both a Windows and Mac OS X version. It has the option of selection either Constant or Variable rate compression.

I find that on stuff that already rips to 4.7GB or less, with no further compression needed, or has an original that is of so-so quality to begin with, the Variable option works good. For stuff that is longer than 2 hours or has lots of action, I use the Constant ratio. It make for a higher quality image without as many artifacts.

Using Constant takes longer to compress though. I can get about 8GB compressed in 15-20 min. using Variable, while the same amount of data takes about 35-40 using Constant.

Other apps probably have similar settings.

i use dvd decryptor, and then go through the video files it decrypted and take out the menu, and previews and crap like that, then compress it with autogk to a 700 meg .avi file with xvid video compression. that way i can have a "back-up" copy without taking up space on my computer.