Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Corrupt Phreak

knoppix-std on a cyber-drive cd drive

17 posts in this topic

I posted on their official forums but they're kind of dead. I tried to boot and got the message:

Kernal Panic: no init found! (or something like that)

I read that it was a problem with the cd drive I'm using, so I'm wondering if anyone knows a fix or alternate way? thanks, I appreciate it.

P.S, here's what I read about the cd drive:

" had the same exact problems and it turned out to be the cd drive I was using. I use a Cyber-Drive 40x CD-R/RW drive. I burned 3 cds with it, all three differend ISOs and they all checked out on the MD5 checker. So, as a hunch, I tried it using my other computer and it worked beautifully. So, if you are using a Cyber-Drive then I would think the drive is suspect. Note the drive burns everything else perfectly fine."

um. wierd. if it is really a problem with your cd drive, the only thing i could suggest is booting from floppy. sorry, i'm a linux noob myself :blink:

I'm still deciding if I should dual boot with Mandrake or Redhat. What do you think would be good for a beginner?

Thanks

(still drunk still awake)

its all the same more or less. I guess now if i were a beginner, id go with mandrake, becuae they still give out the support.

I have a 4.23 gb partition on my hard drive. could linux be installed to that? if so, tell me which distros. remember, I won't be using it for more than using the tools. xp will be my main os still for a while.

you ma be able to load all that into a 4.23gb drive but it will be hard and dont think about installing to much on the windows side

as fare as dual boot i would suggest using mandrake it sooooo easy to learn from but remember it does not come with the source

NOTE: remember windows wants to be first in the partion and i think you have to install it first then when you install lilo or grub"never used grub" i just install lilo to my mbr and remember if you going to have important crap on the windows side make sure you can recover the data mainly use fat32 it will be easyer

hope this gets read thats a lot of writing this early :wacko:

thanks. downloading Mandrake 10.0 right now. I have 16 gb left on my windows side. the hdd I'm going to install Mandrake to is fat32. wish me luck.

I read on a mandrake site that 500 mb hard disk space is required, and 1 gb recommended. shouldn't 4.23 gb be enough?

Edited by dual

heheh

4gb is plenty.

Last time I used MDK, it didn't have shit for dual booting support, but that was MDK 8ish... Good luck with that...

If you have difficulty with MDK [for example you're f00ked] you can always pick up a copy of RH9, which is pretty damned easy to setup in dual booting as well, and still has pretty good support. Personally, I hate them both. [RPM based distros need to DIE!!]

Funny enough, I have a Cyber-Drive 48x that has had the living shit beat out of it, because it has a real problem with burned disks. The cheaper burnable disks don't have a whole lot of contrast between the pits and lands, and really aren't very reflective... And the Cyber-Drive cost me 40 bucks new, back when 48x was the l33t shit. So I figure it's just a crappy CD-ROM drive. [For some reason if I were in windows, it would read some of the CDs about 50% of the time, but it would NEVER boot off them.]

It sounds to me like the problem you're having, is that it's able to read the high-prioty section of the disk [the section set for boot in the El Torrito standard] but the rest of your files are unreadable, like it failed to find the start of the track, or the end of it.

A very basic install of mandrake will fit on 4GB, and there is alot of support for dual booting, in fact, it's one of the only distros I know that lets you resize ntfs partitions from the install, and yes rpm distros need to die

... in fact, it's one of the only distros I know that lets you resize ntfs partitions from the install ...

Oh wow, really?

Now THAT's useful. I wonder if they used their own code, or if they licensed it from partition magic or something... Hmmm....

See, if linux installs and usage were that easy 2 years ago, I would be an uber-geek by now... Either that, or it would have turned into windows by now...

went to install, nothing happened. went into bios and made sure that it'd boot from cd-rom and still nothing.

Edited by Corrupt Phreak

you can put cds in after it's booted right? you can make a bootdisk for mandrake in windows I'm pretty sure

Pop in CD1, it should give you a little menu with install docs and an option to make a bootdisk

Edited by jedibebop

but it doesn't. my system loads normally.

CP, after it loads normally can you run anything on the Mandrake disc from within Windows? Just asking this because it looks like you misunderstood jedibebop. Sorry if I misunderstood that you misunderstood.

Edited by v0n

yeah I can. I can see the contents of the disk and everything. an install mandrake prompt comes up.

k, I created a boot disk and used that to install mandrake. I'm on it right now. my new problem is I messed up my xp install and I have to reinstall. I read that you need to create 6 floppy boot disks to install xp if your cd drive doesn't support it. my question is this: I don't have 6 floppys right now, so will I be able to install xp using the cd rom only? I won't have access to my windows xp cd for a few hours, so I'd like to know now. thanks.

edit: well I'm go ing to go rest now. hopefully someone has an answer by the time I awake. thanks.

Edited by corrupt phreak 2

messed around in dos for a while and got my system back without the cd. AND I get to keep linux! I love you all.

Edited by Corrupt Phreak