Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raven

cd help

13 posts in this topic

once again linux has shown how stupid and how much i have no clue about it. well saying this and that its to easy to burn me im going to ask, is there like an auto run for linux like on windows, because certain programs i can not get to start and they are linux compataible as far as i know, and also does any one know if i can go global on hell-ol in linux cuz thats what my family is using(not my choice)

Edited by raven

linux itself doesn't have a built in auto run but I think kde does. even if it doesn't it shouldn't be hard to find software that does it. also did you mount the disc?

well if it has an auto run my kde is not doing it, and im not sure if i mounted the disc mostly because im not sure if what im thinking is what you mean (no perversion in that what so ever)

ok i have just found a few sites that said you can install aol thats 7.0 and down no newer ones will work, can anyone verify this? and is gaim in linux or is it a soft dl i have to find?

I thought kde did but I wasn't sure since I don't use it, anyway to mount it you have to have the cdrom device in /etc/fstab and type in the terminal "mount /dev/cdrom" , it may be different mine is /dev/hdc

Edited by Blemickis

the command i use to mount my cdrom is

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

you have to be root to use the mount command BTW

also, there is a linux prog called pengaol that is supposed to fuse aol and linux.

gaim is AOL instant messenger for linux, it will also do MSN messenger format as well if i remember right.

i've heard there's an automounter for linux, but that it doesnt work too well

there is supermount in the 2.6 kernel, not sure how well that works yet

And yeah gaim can do aim, msn, icq, napster (yeah...napster) gadu gadu (some polish thing) and gnutella and yahoo...even a few others I think

also bland, you do realize you could just edit your /etc/fstab so that you only have to do "mount /mnt/cdrom" to mount a cdrom right?

on that note what about usb external hard drives?

there is supermount in the 2.6 kernel, not sure how well that works yet

And yeah gaim can do aim, msn, icq, napster (yeah...napster) gadu gadu (some polish thing) and gnutella and yahoo...even a few others I think

also bland, you do realize you could just edit your /etc/fstab so that you only have to do "mount /mnt/cdrom" to mount a cdrom right?

yeah dude, i was just giving him the full command

i guess is did... actually the command i use to mount a CD is 'mountcd' (bash scripting at its finest). the same way with 'unmountcd' 'mountusb' 'unmountusb' and so on.

someday i will know what im doing in linux untill then im kinda just learning from mistakes, but i have got pengaol and i cant seem to figure out how to install it, i got a tuturial from slinux.net i think thats the site and it probably works but i cant get it to, has anyone ever loaded this and can help or can you just help my dumb ass