Melekin

Community Book Sharing Program

43 posts in this topic

heh, perhaps I should make my CSS open-source-worthy...

It would be better validated and commented...

Project Names:

ARES - Archival Radial Educational System

DTML - Damn The Man! Library

RAL - Radial Archive Library

FULS [Fools] - Free YOU! Library System

IFL - Intellectual Freedom Library

FLS - Free Library System

Ok, beta should realistically be up by the end of next week... I've been hella busy lately. <_<

Anyways, any more suggestions? Anyone found any issues?

Thanks to the people who registered and are helping with testing. ^_^

Edited by greystatic

Anybody? Free as in Freedom? Richard's Stallman's Crusade for Free Software?

PigMokey, where do I send this?

This project is dead as my sex life, mostly due to lack of interest and not much demand for this kind of thing. :(

If anyone wants the (not-so-great) code for it (coded in php with a mysql backend) let me know.

Thanks to those who helped!

Can I get a mod to unpin this thread?

Simply AWESOME! ..if you need any help or support im here as well.just to let you know...

yo, Ive always wanted to start or join/use some site that has /trade OCE College textbooks...seriously those are too fucking expensive... I shall post my booklistings in a couple of days..got some good ones..

yeah so im digging up an old old old old old(3827439298old) topic, but i think this should be revived.

oh jesus, my last post in here was back in 2004 ... good lord.

too bad this never got off the ground. would have been cool. i wouldnt mind helping with this again.

I would also like to help out too, I think we should get a little organized and everyone that wants to be involved should voice their opinion and we can go over this a little more. This would be a great thing to have available, and I am attending school right now for Network Archetecture and Security so I am gonna have a lot of interesting books, aside from the one's I already own.

i think we should get a central person, someone that is trusted around here (strom, natas, someone...) and have it to where you send the book to central person, with the address of the receiver, and then central person ships to receiver, and then when receiver is finished, he ships to central person, and central person ships back to owner. yeah that could have been explained better, but whatever...i also think that the owner should pay for shpping out, and the receiver pay for shipping back, but whatever you know...

Personally i think mailing stuff is a very big *pain in the ass* especially for us busy people.. If there was a more efficient way I would however share my books anyway....

Do you guys know any place even exists for OCR/PDF College Textbooks? I am tired of paying $500+ for stuff that i barely read...:angry:

The Cult at the end of the world - the story of the AUM TRANG [people who gassed the subway in tokyo] Rotten Library - Absolutely fascinating book

I wouldn't be so sure about a book that doesn't even get the cult's name right. It is AUM Shinrikyo, Trang isn't Japanese (most likely Vietnamese) nor does it follow the basic Japanese rules of what a word consists of.

If people are still interested in the site, i wouldn't mind taking on the php as a side project. I'm not a php expert but i should be able to do most or figure out the rest with my book. I don't know how long it will take me to get up but i'll definatly look at the code and see what i can do.

Books I am willing to provide:

Science/Maths:

Green, Brian: The Elegant Universe

The Fabric of the Cosmos

// some awesome books on string theory. also some background on realativity and quantum physics. It's a real geek read, and a must for anyone interested in this. PM for details.

Gleick, J: Chaos

//A book on Chaos theory. fairly heavy reading for those that never did well at maths. But interesting if you like it.

Hack Stuff

Mitnick, K: The Art of Deception

//Does this book need an intro? Any SE should know this page-by-page. If you don't have this, then you will now. Quite why I'm willing to loan this is anyone's guess.

Ok, it's not a huge collection, but it's pretty entertaing. especially the ones by Greene. The real joy in these books is that they will go pretty easy for people who only want to read this stuff for fun, but the endnotes are very heavy duty for those that want more. The real fun comes when you try to explain what you're reading to the fool that asked what you were reading :D

This is an awesome idea, and if I must, I'll be happy to send them in a book-for-book trade (overseas included). Please feel free to sign in the date, ur nick and e-mail address in the inside cover for posterity. Just expect the same from me :D

So, I see that this is a project that seems to die, un-die and then die again. what a shame... Please someone- fight to keep this topic alive!!!

luck, and happy reading,

ghostdog_688