Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raven

linux drivers

15 posts in this topic

i cant seem to find the site that offers drivers for my video card and other pci type things, does anybody know where this is at? im runnin mandrake

sorry............its a ati radeon 9200 video card, a standard generic modem, an ethernet card, i think the sound card is already compatable, and a belkin usb pci card

making a winmodem work under linux can be a royal pain.

yea my first experiance with linux I had dialup and a winmodem so I stopped useing linux cause I couldnt get on the internet with it.. now im useung and learning again thanx to my dsl

making a winmodem work under linux can be a royal pain.

Has anyone ever gotten a winmodem to work under ANY Linux? I'm on a cable connection, so I'll never go back, but I was under the assumption that the winmodem was completely unsupported.

PF

I stand corrected. Thanks! Always good to know, whether I use it personally or not.

PF

Most LinModems have binary-only drivers, so you might taint your kernel when or do something else when using them, but I have gotten pretty much any laptop I've owned with a built in Lucent or any other WinModem to work by using them. Meh, if you're desperate, and there's no opensource for it, you might use 'em.

I won't buy a computer with a winmodem, i just set up one of my desktops as server so that i can use my 10/100 Ethernet to log into the net from there, then theres no problem, but of course not everyone has that privelege.

( by server i mean Gateway for anyone who doesn't allready know...)

Edited by Wraithe

wtf i must be really stupi or something, i have got the drivers for my vid card mentioned earlier, from the site mentioned earleir, but i have no idea hoe to install them, the guide i got from that site is not really helping me , i need to be walked through step by step, any one care to walk an retard thgough this?

oooh the fglrx drivers, i've just had issues getting them going. Before we go any further, do modprobe agpgart && lsmod |grep agpgart

Get anything?