Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qod

Reading hexdumps from sniffers

10 posts in this topic

I wanted to know if there is a site, or book that will teach him how to read hex log files from sniffers. Is there any books or sites that cover such topics indeapth.

I would look at the official docs for the sniffer in question; Learning about hex would be good as well.

well i know about hecx, and i use tcpdump and snort and none of the documentation include anything about such things, i also read 2 books about snort and came up empty handed.

You'd have a _hell_ of a time "reading" and understanding hex in realtime as the data slides past your sniffer. If all you want is to inspect the packets, look at Ethereal maybe.

One idea is to simply convert the hex into readable strings of data using a perl wrapper and dump them to a log file.. is that what you want to do?

why the hell would you want to read the strait hex? just for cool points? most sniffers and analyzers just read the ASCII strings...

To reverse engineer an application layer protocol.

To reverse engineer an application layer protocol.

okay, that makes sense.

actually i just want to learn how packets apear on the wire. I know there are converters, but how do these converters work. I will search some more and tell you what i will find out.