Guest m2mike

2.4 ghz cordless phone monitoring

7 posts in this topic

It is a very common misconception (among stupid people/ no one here) that 2.4 Ghz phones can not be monitored, but they can.

Edited by Admin

just wondering, if you monitor the handset freqs, can you hear the side tone off of the other side of the convo, ie full duplex?

With most cordless phones, by listening to the base you get both sides of the conversation. By listening to only the handset, the person's voice who is using the phone will come through very clear and the person who is on the other end will be very faint. This is because the earpiece in the handset carries some sound into the microphone on the cordless phone. You will need a very clear signal in order to hear both sides of the conversation from the handset. If there is noise, then amping noise later will do no good. Cool Edit or Adobe Audition can amp the faint side of the conversation and hopefully you can make it all out.

DSS makes any over-the-air conversation unmanagable for the curious scanner. You could theoretically encrypt 42 Mhz cordls phnes. Now non-DSS 5.8 Ghz wifi phnes are secure IMO because of the lack of cpable widebnd recvrs to the consumer (I'm sure they exist but are a bit pricey for the purpose).

Phone Eavesdropping as a hobby is extremely boring (only amusing the likes of RBCP and other immature folks) but the scanner is great for investigators and such if that's what you wanna do as a career. I couldn't imagine a worst way to spend my time than scan analog cell and crdless phnes unless I was a cop or something. Hope my info helps and opinions are insightful.

Edited by Zen Lunatic

Does anyone know where the specs (assuming they exist) can be found for cordless phones in the 2.4 / 5.8 GHz range - I had a look on the FCC and UK radio sites but could only find the following: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/...z-licensing.htm

(Info on other cordless phones can also be found at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/..._info/ra193.htm )

As far as I know, the 2.4 Ghz range is still unlicensed by the FCC. This goes for 802.11b, 802.11g, and 2.4 Ghz cordless phones. If someone knows different, then please post it here.

I believe that 2.5GHz is a shared use band between unlicensed and ham radio operators. The difference being that hams can use more power (up to 1500 watts PEP) while unlicensed operators are only supposed to use some very small amount of power (probably less than 1 watt PEP).

PEP = Peak Envelope Power. It's some weird way to measure a transmitter's output. I'm not completely sure of the specifics behind the measurement.