Lukwe

Looking for decent low cost ham radios, what do you guys suggest?

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey everybody!

I've being thinking of getting involved with the ham radio for quite a while now and I'm hoping to get a license soon.

I've been thinking about getting a Baofeng BF-F8HP . Looking for one around 20 - 70 bucks for use in fairly rural places.

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Lukwe
Spelling,

Hi....First radio for a Technician class (new ham) in view of your area I would go with a double band (144/440 mHz) portable radio from any of the 'enormous three' brands (for example Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu). You don't need a HT for your first radio nor do you need a Chinese radio (except if you can't bear the cost of something else). Ht's have restricted range and now and again in clogged rf regions helpless seperation of signs. The name brands are additionally simpler to physically program. A straightforward recieving wire, for example, the Arrow j-post will function admirably on both those frequencies effortlessly. On the off chance that you are going to begin with the General something like the Icom 718 would be an incredible first radio. Yaesu and Kenwood additionally have incredible 'starter' radios. Check with certain hams in your general vicinity to perceive what they suggest, one may even have a radio that they would advance or sell you.

flex pcb design for assembly guide

Edited by LyonSanks

Hello!

As an aside, my grandparents lived just outside Oneonta, NY before they passed away.

Here's the link to the local ham club: https://www.qsl.net/nc2c/, don't know how active they are, if any, but it's worth a shot. Ostego County also seems to have an active RACES organization (https://www.otsegocounty.com/departments/volunteer_opportunities/otsego_county_radio_amateur_civil_emergency_service_(races).php), and it would be in your best interest to get to know those folks and at least be neighborly.

Now if you get a 2m/70cm HT you'll be able to hit a few repeaters in the Central Leatherstocking region, and that's about it. If you can afford $70 you should be able to find a used 2 Meter base station that'll give you an extra 10dB of power output which with an antenna you can build yourself will let you talk with the locals out to about 20 miles or so depending on the terrain, maybe a little further up and down the Susquehanna River valley and into the Catskills.

If you want to talk further without assistance from repeaters you'll need to get down into the HF bands.

- Ticom (Tom)
Editor, Cyber-Tek Zine (est.1990)
https://www.cybertekzine.com/

On 9/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, LyonSanks said:

Hi....First radio for a Technician class (new ham) in view of your area I would go with a double band (144/440 mHz) portable radio from any of the 'enormous three' brands (for example Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu). You don't need a HT for your first radio nor do you need a Chinese radio (except if you can't bear the cost of something else). Ht's have restricted range and now and again in clogged rf regions helpless seperation of signs. The name brands are additionally simpler to physically program. A straightforward recieving wire, for example, the Arrow j-post will function admirably on both those frequencies effortlessly. On the off chance that you are going to begin with the General something like the Icom 718 would be an incredible first radio. Yaesu and Kenwood additionally have incredible 'starter' radios. Check with certain hams in your general vicinity to perceive what they suggest, one may even have a radio that they would advance or sell you.

flex pcb design for assembly guide

Hi LyonSanks,

I waited like a week and then i kinda assumed nobody was ever gonna reply to this.. lol. I went ahead and bought a Chinese HT, and i don't think its all that bad, although I've never touched a ham radio before that. i think i could of bought something better but it works pretty good for my purposes... You were right about it being tricky to set channels on, though.. lol

Anyways, thanks for responding, and i'll defiently keep your advice in mind when or if i purchase another radio..a :D

On 11/22/2020 at 7:58 PM, Ticom said:

Hello!

As an aside, my grandparents lived just outside Oneonta, NY before they passed away.

Here's the link to the local ham club: https://www.qsl.net/nc2c/, don't know how active they are, if any, but it's worth a shot. Ostego County also seems to have an active RACES organization (https://www.otsegocounty.com/departments/volunteer_opportunities/otsego_county_radio_amateur_civil_emergency_service_(races).php), and it would be in your best interest to get to know those folks and at least be neighborly.

Now if you get a 2m/70cm HT you'll be able to hit a few repeaters in the Central Leatherstocking region, and that's about it. If you can afford $70 you should be able to find a used 2 Meter base station that'll give you an extra 10dB of power output which with an antenna you can build yourself will let you talk with the locals out to about 20 miles or so depending on the terrain, maybe a little further up and down the Susquehanna River valley and into the Catskills.

If you want to talk further without assistance from repeaters you'll need to get down into the HF bands.

- Ticom (Tom)
Editor, Cyber-Tek Zine (est.1990)
https://www.cybertekzine.com/

Hey Ticom,

I'm sorry for your loss man.. 

Oneonta is a certainly a nice place though,

Thanks for that link, there is an Facebook page for the Oneonta Amateur Radio Club (OARC) but i haven't been able to access it becuase i don't have a Facebook account.

I sometimes listen to RACES on the 146.8500 Oneonta Repeater. i'll look in to it a little more though

Thanks for all of your advice Ticom! As i said to LyonSanks, i already bought the chinese HT (Baofeng F8-HP), but i'll defiently buy a better once i get tired of my current one.. :)

Thanks

-- Lukwe