Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leoleta

Help hacking a hard drive to change password

2 posts in this topic

Hello,  I'm not really wanting to hack, but I've searched everywhere to find a answer to my problem, and figured if anyone could solve it it would be a hacker.  A while back I acquired a Dell computer from a business closing up shop.  Everything was great until two days ago. I was make some changes in personal setting on windows 7 pro. That evening I shut it down and the next day it would  not boot just displayed a window that said the hard drive was locked and to enter the password. Ive tried everything I could find on the web. I tried booting today and was able to get into EUFI.  I found the tab to place a password on the hard drive.  It said it was not enabled. Checking on the web I have come to the conclusion that the password is on the harddrive firmware. Does anyone have any idea how to remove it.  Any help would be appreciated 

Password on hard drive firmware?  Doesn't exist to my knowledge.

If it's a password set by BIOS, unplug the CMOS batter, hold the power button for 10 seconds, then put the computer back together and the password should be gone.  Sometimes you can jump 2 header pins on the motherboard to remove it also.

You can also use this site to find default BIOS passwords: https://bios-pw.org/

If the hard drive is encrypted (like bitlocker), you're screwed just wipe the drive.

If the hard drive is not encrypted, and it's a windows password, use the "utilman trick" to reset the password:

If it looks like this:

Syskey - Wikipedia

It's called syskey, the registry is encrypted.  Restore a registry restoration by taking the backup from C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack and pasting it into C:\Windows\System32\config.  If the backup was taken before syskey was set, it will be removed.